Can't remove gbody steering shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
I did but I didn't know if he had found that picture online, would of helped if he put the two posts together so us ancient guys wouldn't get confused...:(
It's ok Steve, I'm 33 and get confused with the newer tech too.....and hell i didn't have one gray hair until i had kids geez! I blame it on my wife though lol:D

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
So my lack of kids at 33 is why my hair is so youthful and glossy? ;)

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
Off to the bone yard to find a new jeep shaft! Do you have to undo the middle I joints on the jeep steering shaft to remove it? I know it's slightly different I want to make sure I don't bend or break it

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Off to the bone yard to find a new jeep shaft! Do you have to undo the middle I joints on the jeep steering shaft to remove it? I know it's slightly different I want to make sure I don't bend or break it

another upgrade is a shaft from Astro/Safari vans

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Nope just like the gbody shaft it unbolts at the box and at the column whilst collapsing in the middle. It can get a little sticky as well because there is no plastic cover like the gbody one had

mobileaudio25

G-Body Guru
Jan 12, 2012
columbus, ohio
I believe I have the right shaft . 96 Cherokee sport. Says NACAM on it... so this is why I've been seeing a lot about them collapsing... it's 3 inches longer.

When I removed it I had to force it out and tilt the u joints to get it off I couldn't get it to collapse. Obviously I need to collapse the shaft to install it, what is the easiest way to get it to collapse? Do you heat the shaft, the clips by the joint or the thicker part of the shaft itself? Can someone explain where to heat it or have a picture where to?

Also I couldn't get the column bolt on through the shaft is the easiest way to fix this to grind off the top of the column shaft that comes out of the firewall where I have the sharpie marked on the column?
IMG_1557.JPG
IMG_1554.JPG

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor