Car bogs when I hit the gas

Status
Not open for further replies.

LukeZ

G-Body Guru
Apr 24, 2015
Delaware
I have an 86 LG4 carbed 305. When I floor it from a stop or from a low speed (this has also happened a couple times in 4th gear at low rpms too) the engine almost dies and barely chugs along for like 2 or 3 seconds.

Anyone have an idea on what the best things to do to possibly cure this? (Also side note, the rear is 2.56s. Could that have anything to do with it?)

I was thinking to start with, I could get a new air filter, new spark plugs, seafoam the engine, and maybe do some fuel or oil additive that cleans the engine. Anything else? Maybe the timing is off, or something with the carb or jets?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Sounds like a fuel delivery problem(to little-to much). From what I'm hearing it sounds like accelerator pump problem.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
What carb? if it's a qjet the secondary flaps could be too loose, causing it to fall on its face when your floor it.

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Would not hurt to give it a tune up if you have not done plugs, filters, etc for some time. I had issues with bad gas a few years ago and I used Seafoam in my tank and after driving a few hundred miles of mostly highway it helped with my bogginess and almost stalling. I changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, etc after running the cleaner and car has run perfectly since.

As others posted definetly concentrate on the carb first as far as fuel delivery, working properly, etc.

A long shot could be a mechanical fuel pump starting to go?

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
May also be a lockup solenoid issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor