Car wont start after changing fuel filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris55444

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
Brooklyn Park MN
Thanks i will try your suggestions right now. One thing i do know is i think fuel is getting to the carb. When i rechecked the fuel filter to make sure that i did it right well i had a little bit of gas leaking from the carb which tells me its getting fuel.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if you don't have spark check your connections at the distributor and make sure you're getting 12v on the pink wire

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
Ok. I replaced new plug wires, changed fuel filter, rechecked everything that i did now she wont start. She cranks strongly, but won turn over. So my next question is how do i know if the carb is screwed up? She ran great before i did anything to her, but now that i changed 30 year old plug wires and fuel filter i cant get her to start. Now i wish I did not do anything to her until the engine or idiot lights told me too. I am not well versed in fixing cars, but am willing to learn and have a lot of gumption. All i have are my gbody bros, you tube, and a chiltons book.

Do not stress over it. These things happen. Not changing things because you worry about affecting something negatively has happened to all of us at some point. The more you work on the car, the more you learn its quirks and what to do.

Plus do not rely on idiot lights. They come on after a system is pretty much past help. Newer cars have alert lights like when to change oil, get gas, etc. When a light comes on in our G bodies it means I will be opening my wallet for some parts! :(

Just be patient and take your time. The more work on a car you do, the more confident you will get. Never be scared to ask for help.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
How do i check to see if i have spark? I have herd of people buying new plug wires and they were bad.

Unhook a spark plug wire. Get a spare spark plug and lay it on a metal part you can rest it on. A good place is the manifold. Try to start and see if the plug is sparking. Easier with two people unless you can set it down somewhere under the hood and see it when trying to start.

I included a link that might help you. This video has some things not relevant to our cars but shows another way to check for spark.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: 1 users

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
How do i check to see if i have spark? I have herd of people buying new plug wires and they were bad.

This video might help too. There are parts of the video not relevant to our cars but he shows another way to check for spark. Hope it helps.

Last edited:

Chris55444

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
Brooklyn Park MN
Unhook a spark plug wire. Get a spare spark plug and lay it on a metal part you can rest it on. A good place is the manifold. Try to start and see if the plug is sparking. Easier with two people unless you can set it down somewhere under the hood and see it when trying to start.

I included a link that might help you. This video has some things not relevant to our cars but shows another way to check for spark.

Thanks so much I appreciate all of the help I am getting

Chris55444

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 3, 2017
Brooklyn Park MN
I don’t know if this means anything but when i turn the key (not turning all of the way) i here a bunch of clicks and as strange as it sounds it looks like the sound is coming from the carb does that mean anything? And yes right before posting this i went back outside to double check the clicking sound does come from the carb.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
you need to check for spark before you do anything else. You said you had fuel so the engine should run or at least fire if it has spark

• Agree

Jeff L

G-Body Guru
Nov 20, 2016
Southern AZ
I don’t know if this means anything but when i turn the key (not turning all of the way) i here a bunch of clicks and as strange as it sounds it looks like the sound is coming from the carb does that mean anything? And yes right before posting this i went back outside to double check the clicking sound does come from the carb.

That is normal. It is some solenoid or throttle sensor waking up. Cannot remember exactly. Someone can correct me if I am not right.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor