Carburetor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rod2010

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 28, 2021
You're shooting craps just slapping a carb on it. Could be a bunch of little, simple things that could have it running tip-top. Once you pull the carb, you're head first in a rabbit hole.
I been researching I seen them carbs are a very touchy thing I’m probably gone start with a tune and see how that goes

Bri guy

G-Body Guru
May 18, 2018
Check plugs/wires or disty cap for corrosion. Mark the cap for the position.

Reactions: 1 user

39F

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2019
Pittsburgh PA
Start simple ,check all vacuum lines,plugs on carb, I also have same issue mines alot better after doing the simple cheap stuff I don't plan on keeping the v6 so idc , but there's alot more then just that carb that comes into play with these

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I just purchased it from 2nd owner the person I bought it from only replaced headliner from the original owner was a grandma lol so I really don’t know the history I think I’m just gone to parts store and replace it since I have no desire to add more horse power until engine shoot craps
First, never go to a chain store for carburetors, all they have anymore is garbage. If your carb needs rebuilding you need to take the original to a good carb rebuilder. Never exchange your original carb towards a reman carb. Rebuild is good, reman is bad.

Second, watch these videos. https://gbodyforum.com/threads/gm-ccc-service-videos.76761/

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Really.
The carb is probably not bad. Got a check engine light?

It's still an old school setup. Standard stuff.

Check the cheap stuff.
Everything connected to something?
Plug wires in right order and connected? They Broken or chewed up? Broken vacuum lines cause extra air to enter the engine and makes the computer add more fuel to comprnsate.

If all that checks out, start a tuneup.

Distributor cap and rotor, spark plug wires and spark plugs. Gap the plugs at .045. .060 is too much imo.

Fuel filter is inside the carb. Where the fuel line connects is a bug fitting. Its behind that.

The little coin thing on the parts counter is a spark plug gapping tool.

Don't get fancy plugs. Just as Delco #r45ts plugs.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor