Cheap horsepower on V8 G-Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriegar

n00b
Sep 12, 2009
First off, i want to say I am astounded by some of the replies to your query.

You very CLEARLY stated that you motor was a 307 cubic inch engine, for one, and for two, your moniker is CLEARLY spelled with 2 "t"s, and is therefore, properly pronounced as "cutty". Sheesh.

So, in response to your thread, let's first bring everything "up to snuff". Full tune up, i.e., plugs, wires, oil change, adjustments, etc.

Then, let's checked to be sure the throttle cable isn't stretched, and further, if there is a lot of take-up gap in the peddle, let's use a cable stop to reduce it. No pretensioning, just using all of the available cable.

Now let's now let's set the adjustment on the TV (throttle valve) cable. For reference, we'll use a Chiltons' manual, or its' equivalent. Or check the forum threads for topics on the matter.

Next, while keeping in mind the caveat of reasonably cheap mods, let's go to the transmission fluid and filter, a shift kit, and a transmission fluid cooler.

Now, we're getting more technical, so we can start talking about an Accel HEI coil, and perhaps an ignition advance kit, as well as a PROM chip.

This, and the previously mentioned exhaust mods, are all withing the relatively inexpensive range, and are things that you will notice, hear and feel.

Also, headers that conform to your local pollution standards would be considered an extremely good place to start, although we're getting pricier. Which brings us to a performance torque converter. Up to now, we've improved performance feel, AND economy, longevity of your transmission, and the "feel" of the car. We've also stayed within a reasonable budget.

Also, the aforementioned valve springs a an extremely good idea, as well as being a simple mod (at least, taking into consideration the pain of just GETTING to your valve covers).

Since a lot of driver perception is in the "feel" of the car, I would also recommend KYB shocks, and urethane bushings on the sway bars (and wherever else your mechanic feels comfortable changing bushings). We've done some relatively inexpensive things, and the car "feels" a lot different now. You can also contemplate stiffening up the springs (i.e., heavy duty, or trailer towing), there were also 4-door cars in that model range with "police" options, so you could consider switching to components related to that option.

Ecnes

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2009
quick question people im new to this forum but im trying to do the same thing to a stock olds 350 im my 79 cuttlass and was looking in to the vortec heads and tighter valve springs idea and was wonder for my 350 what kind of car can i find 350 vortec heads to swap and what size would the valve springs need to be in order to get a lil more power?

FE3X CLONE

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 2, 2009
Ohio
Ecnes said:
quick question people im new to this forum but im trying to do the same thing to a stock olds 350 im my 79 cuttlass and was looking in to the vortec heads and tighter valve springs idea and was wonder for my 350 what kind of car can i find 350 vortec heads to swap and what size would the valve springs need to be in order to get a lil more power?

What 350 do you have? If it's an Olds 350 then Chevy parts won't work.

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
I think this thread is proof enough some people around here been breathing in far too many ORANGE paint fumes.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-11-06-15-15-09-1.png
    Screenshot_2013-11-06-15-15-09-1.png
    500.9 KB · Views: 171

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
Ecnes said:

If you can find some early 330 (#4) or 350 (#5/6/7 heads) .... find a competent porter that knows what an Oldsmobile IS! Discuss a port, three angle job and possibly larger valves ... but even in stock form the stock chambers will boost compression. This needs to be mated with the RIGHT cam choice for maximum effects. Got any ideas on the grind?

DrRansom442

G-Body Guru
Aug 4, 2005
St Charles Missouri
As far as the OP is concerned, being in Cali ..... realyl, really ties your hands. You can spend some cash doing little things here and there but when all is said and done - it's still a 307 and even headers aren't an option as there is no 50 state exempt header .... just take one look at the ummm "Y" pipe (which is actually one manifold crossing over and dumping into the other) and you can start to see why that is. Sure you can try and cheat on the tests ... if the car will physically pass, I doubt anyone would notice engine cast numbers (or know what is a 307 vs a 350) .... so building an Olds 350 to run on the CCC is a possiblity - but it's a BIG gamble. May find yourself with a car that can not smog - if you get busted.

hotrod87

Greasemonkey
Jan 30, 2010
Plainfield, IN
Yeah Gm "cheated" for years(smog pump, pumpimg fresh air into the exhaust)....but in your case i would look for the before mentioned heads....you can get part numbers here then go junkyard hunting

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
Can you do much for your budget? Sadly, no. The best you can do is a swap to better gearing in the rear axle. Use a 3.23 or 3.42. 3.73's are a bit overboard even though they are what Olds used in the 442.

X2.... My late father was a Service Manager at an Olds dealer in the late 60's-early 70's. He fielded a zillion calls from kids with a Cutlass looking to improve performance by having 442 cams, carb, heads etc. installed. Not wanting to put them out of warranty (5/50 powertrain in those days), he'd give them all the same answer: "Let me put in a set of rear end gears first, then if you're still not satisfied we'll talk about the engine"
40 years later, and I still can't think of a better answer.

Bill

Ecnes

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 22, 2009
DrRansom442 said:
Ecnes said:

If you can find some early 330 (#4) or 350 (#5/6/7 heads) .... find a competent porter that knows what an Oldsmobile IS! Discuss a port, three angle job and possibly larger valves ... but even in stock form the stock chambers will boost compression. This needs to be mated with the RIGHT cam choice for maximum effects. Got any ideas on the grind?

so its not as easy as just throwing some heads on. and the wreckers here in the bay area suck! cant find sh*t for gbodys really. and if u do its an arm and a leg to buy. is there an idea on wat kinda vavle springs i sld jus put on my stock ones for now? im jus tryin to get the most power posible without having it sit forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor