Cheap horsepower on V8 G-Body?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with everyone else that a gear change is mandatory... I don't think anything deeper than a 3.08 was installed on any of the non-performance cars, and yours is probably more like a 2.73, which makes for horrible acceleration unless 1st-2nd gears are decent. You'll spend less 95% of the time buying a used rear from a junkyard as opposed to having a new set put in, as there is less technical knowledge required (unbolt shocks/arms, disconnect brakes/driveshaft, R&R rear vs. pinion/carrier setup).

Kriegar's got a good handle to go about doing things to start with... regular tune-up stuff (though emissions will kind of include that, nature-of-the-beast sort of thing), making sure your catalytic converter isn't plugged or restricting flow (same with exhaust), the manifolds leave much to be desired, even a stock engine could benefit from a set of shorties (only compliant ones that come to mind are Edelbrock and I'm not sure they make them for Olds G-Bodies). If you have a 2bbl. intake, swap it for a 4bbl, and be sure to stick with the correct carb, since it has a computer (however primitive in the world of computer engine controls). A hotter coil (MSD makes a drop-in unit, I'm pretty sure several other companies do as well) should help bring emissions down a little as well, so you can up the ante a little on performance.

Doober said:
A hotter coil (MSD makes a drop-in unit, I'm pretty sure several other companies do as well) should help bring emissions down a little as well, so you can up the ante a little on performance.

Wow that is much better then what i was doing....Anyway Proform makes one of the hottest HEI coils (50,000V) and it's cheap too $32 here is a link to Summit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PRO-66943C/

hotrod87 said:

I'm still skeptical, but for $85 - $105 more (costs quoted in artical for spacer) can't you just buy a better intake? My 2nd hand intake was less than $85 - I aint proud and paint sticks to aluminum too. The folks that sell the Tornado air gizmo thingie, claim the same results ... as seen on tv even!

DrRansom442 said:
hotrod87 said:

I'm still skeptical, but for $85 - $105 more (costs quoted in artical for spacer) can't you just buy a better intake? My 2nd hand intake was less than $85 - I aint proud and paint sticks to aluminum too. The folks that sell the Tornado air gizmo thingie, claim the same results ... as seen on tv even!
Sorry I forgot you worked selling car parts....god knows they make up all those dyno numbers to sell mags anyway right and just because loneSTRregal builds airboat motors for a living, doesn't mean he knows sh*t about making cheap horsepower.

I was wrong it wasn't the wrong foot :rofl:

Carb spacers sometimes work, sometimes they don't. Telling someone to put one on just because is stupid.

I find them to be more of a crutch or a band aid to other problems, like a the wrong intake for the application. I had an Offy 360 equa-flow intake on my 455 for a while with a 850DP. Ran okay but when I tried a 4 hole spacer, I picked up a lot of mid range. Turns out the Offy is just a crappy intake and I should have used a Performer instead.

My brother had a Performer with a 1" spacer on his 403, ran good with the spacer. Also ran just as well without the spacer. And it ran even bettery when he went with an RPM intake.

A carb spacer should be looked at as a tuning tool. Not an absolute necessity.

FE3X CLONE said:
Carb spacers sometimes work, sometimes they don't. Telling someone to put one on just because is stupid.

I find them to be more of a crutch or a band aid to other problems, like a the wrong intake for the application. I had an Offy 360 equa-flow intake on my 455 for a while with a 850DP. Ran okay but when I tried a 4 hole spacer, I picked up a lot of mid range. Turns out the Offy is just a crappy intake and I should have used a Performer instead.

My brother had a Performer with a 1" spacer on his 403, ran good with the spacer. Also ran just as well without the spacer. And it ran even bettery when he went with an RPM intake.

I carb spacer should be looked at as a tuning tool. Not an absolute necessity.

now, now Andy, what do you know either? :rofl: You drive an Olds! But what you are saying - is a high rise intake mioght be a better option than some spacer?

well thanks for the help and by the way the bay area is in Cali. i Live in san francisco. basicly im jus tryin to have a pretty good street car its non smog legal as of now because ive takin off the smog but no cat but still has the y pipe. put a accel super coil with the performance the comp,than i switched out the rear end to a limited slip 2.73 out of a 84 monte. it had been rebuilt but when i looked at the number on the gears i had no idea how to read them! i did take pics tho. and a new timing chain. other than that everything is basicly stock but it runs like a beast and sounds like one but i jus want to improve it. it just doesnt have the power i want. i also want to switch the stock 350 out for a 2004r. have a 700r4 in the back yeard but only r works thank to many burn outs in my impala :lol: and about the valve spings i know everything is stock so...idk if that any help as in to figuring out wat the lift is. and from wat i hear with the carbs everyone says to keep the Q-jet. i have an extra 600 cfm holley and 650cfm carter. im jus try to figure out wat to get. it probolly helps gettin the parts cheaper since i work at kragens

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor