Cheating The Reaper

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
It runs! She's an angry, hateful b*tch! PM me a phone number and I'll send you an audio clip

Attachments

• 20201115_193928.jpg
    20201115_193928.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 153
  • Winner
Reactions: 6 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
This was the engine that was in the truck when it got wrecked. I built it while I was going to Vo Tech school and originally planned to put it in a 240Z. It found it's way into my pickup for a couple years then after the accident I ran it in the Smell Camino for a little while until I broke a rocker stud. I don't remember how long ago that was but I'm thinking about 18 years. I had the heads machined for screw-in studs, put it back together, and wrapped it in plastic. Almost 7 years ago I dragged it out for a fresh coat of paint and it's been waiting ever since.

Here's a little catch-up on the events leading to the start-up last night. Started by hooking up an oil pressure gauge and primed it for about 10 minutes while rolling the engine over. Then I checked valve lash, which was interesting since I couldn't locate my feeler gauges. I ended up using a piece of .030 welding wire.

Next, I moved on the the ignition system. The distributor that was in it used to have a Pertronix kit but it got robbed for another car. I replaced it with an Crane system and used it in the Smell Camino but it did some weird stuff so I decided to use another Pertronix. I left the Crane distributor intact and grabbed an old points distributor from the stash.

Hotwired for bench test. Nice and sparky.

I was expecting the carb to be filthy and need a full rebuild so I ordered up a cheap kit last week. To my surprise, it was really clean inside. The accelerator pump was hard as a rock so it was the only thing that got replaced. Once it was on and running, I found the adjusters seeping so those will need attention.

It didn't fire right up like they do on TV but didn't really fight either. Some drunk idiot forgot to cap the PCV port on the back but after that it ran good, considering how long it's sat.

• Winner
Reactions: 8 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*

I pulled all the parts and boxes out of it and got it ready to blow apart. Then I adjusted the coilovers so that the tie rods and lower control arms were level. Ended up raising it about 3.5". Before I started the jack wouldn't fit under the swaybar.

Then I went to work.

Just waiting on a new flywheel then the TKO goes in and I can measure for the driveline.

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
...I don't really want to dip into saving to fund this one and there's only so much money to go around. Still trying to finish up the house too. 2020 is looking to be a feverish year...

Hilariously ironic quote from almost exactly a year ago.

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 5 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Glad you continued to Cheat the Reaper through all of 2020. "Objects in mirror are closer than they appear".

Reactions: 2 users

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I am in serious covet of that vast, inside, lit workspace. With a smooth floor.:drool:

It could be howling outside, but crank up the tunes...and groove!

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users
Nov 4, 2012
If I had a shop like that I don't think I'd ever leave.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Reactions: 2 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor