Check these out!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Found my dad's old car pictures and scanned them on here :)

His first car was a '69 Cutlass Supreme convertible. He paid $900 for it.
32275130006_large.jpg

His second car was a '69 442. He paid $1200 for it. I hear him say all the time: "I should've never sold that car." DOH!!!
32275130007_large.jpg

He then got a ratty 68 chevelle after the 442 because all his friends had chevys. Then he got a real nice 68 Camino, then a Bronco (don't know where ford came from) and then a bunch of chevy trucks.

As you can see I kept up the olds tradition with my first car. Look what I started :D . I guess it was fate, olds runs in my blood :lol:

Just thought it was cool to look back on old times, for me at least, having not grown up in those times. Man have highschool cars changed, now I see ricers everywhere.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
to be honest in most places now you hardly see ricers any more. no kids give a damn about cars, may be different in other areas, but even in Redneck, Florida, we dont have many car guys.

STL84Calais

Greasemonkey
Feb 5, 2009
2000.malibu.ls said:
to be honest in most places now you hardly see ricers any more. no kids give a damn about cars, may be different in other areas, but even in Redneck, Florida, we dont have many car guys.

You should try St. Louis, MO. Lindbergh Blvd is like a mini fast and the furious on friday and saturday nights, only with LOTS more american muscle. You can't forget Hall street street racing every sunday, literally HUNDREDS of cars are down there racing, the cops try to shut it down but it never works, we just move to another spot  :D  search hall street on youtube, tons of vids.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
Yeah, it's sad to say but there is no large youth car culture anymore. I feel like Gen X'ers were the last that it appealed to. The issue is that there is no good platform left in the new car marketplace. The good ones that do exist are very expensive and do not take easily to modification. I bought the last issue of Sport Compact Car and the editor basically said the same thing. We are the last of a dying breed, no matter what age any of us happen to be. It may sound wrong to say, but the last accessible new car platform for modification was the 1996-2000 Honda Civic / Acura Integra. That was 9 years ago. Mustangs are too expensive for a typical kid to mess with or insure, and older models require a steep learning curve to make run right due to the neglect of time that has invariably rendered them spent. Anyone who plays with cars right now either knows what they are doing, or is willing to put a lot of effort forth to make it happen. Now, kids play with computers instead, and a car is just a means of transportation. It is sad to think that our hobby is dying, but it is inevitable. Tinkering with a modern car with an electronic throttle and modern electronics is not for the faint of heart. It's not like trying to make a carburetor work. It can be done, but it requires a much more substantial investment of cash that most kids can't afford.

2000.malibu.ls

Royal Smart Person
May 11, 2008
Lake City, Florida
yeah if i find ANYONE that knows cars ( i mean KNOWS cars) its like a 45 min conversation because not many people can keep up with me that go to my high school. I want to organize a car club, for anyone interested in cars (doesnt have to have a nice one) but i cant find any interest.

i doubt 7/10 of the few "car" people couldnt tell you wher an intake was on a motor, and 9/10 have never heard of a 442...

pokertramp

G-Body Guru
Aug 10, 2008
Most of the kids up here in the north east are into honda's, Toyota's and the American import type cars like the Ford Focus. Mustang's and Camaro's are also big around here. The kids don't know much about the classics but they do appreciate them at car shows and have tons of respect for cars.

On that note, most of the older people are the same way and know tons about any car. There are some that are just jealous I think. My neighbor has 5 classic cars and I have helped him build his 72 Challenger from the ground up. The only thing we didn't do was bodywork and paint. Everything else has been redone. Some people he knows will look at the car and say, why didn't you buy brand new bumpers? Why didn't you buy new seats? This looks like crap, you should of done this.

He puts a lot of money into his cars and if he wanted a Barret Jackson car he would have Chip Foose restore it for him. These people are jealous because they spent their money on gambling or drugs and have nothing, my neighbor has plenty to show for. They need to put his car down just to feel better.

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Yeah, most kids that are "into" cars around here think their hundais and hondas are the shiznit. There are a couple kids I talk to that are actually into working on cars, not just bolting a cold air intake on.

There is a kid that has a hundai accent, and he thinks he can take anyone in a race. I mean come on really, a hundai? I caught him on my way home once in my parents stratus. He had his neons on and stuff, we were doing 100 down a 2 lane highway and I still had a little more left, but he slowed down. I told him later it was me, and he said oh yeah I slowed down because I already have 2 speeding tickets, but my accent actually tops off at 190 mph. Total BS!!!! Those kids just annoy me. And they never look at or have any respect for anyone elses ride because they think theirs is the best.

83LSWagon

Apprentice
Aug 19, 2008
2000.malibu.ls said:

i doubt 7/10 of the few "car" people couldnt tell you wher an intake was on a motor, and 9/10 have never heard of a 442...

Where I went to school, when a kid put an "intake" on their car, it was just an air filter :lol:
Either that, or they just wanted a low mini-truck, and half of them were total junk. :roll:

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Those were nice cars. Too bad he don't still have them, both of them :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor