choke question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
i have a 87 monte ss. every morning when i go to start it the idle goes upto almost 3000 rpm. i tried adjusting the choke and it just wont go down. eventually after it gets warm ill step on the gas and hear a backfire and it goes down to 1000 rpm. the car is all stock and the carb is rebuilt. im car savvy but i've been out of the v8 seen for awhile. can anyone help?

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
dont think its the timing cause after it warms up it idles fine... what advance mechanism??? on the carb? i dont know where it need to be set.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the advance mechanism in your distributor but since you don't think it could be the timing then don't bother checking it....good luck

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Do you have the stock quadrajet automatic choke? If so, why not just try to replace it with a new one?

rhyno811

Apprentice
Mar 2, 2009
Central NJ
foxtrot_lima_bravo said:
Do you have the stock quadrajet automatic choke? If so, why not just try to replace it with a new one?

replace the carb or the choke? the carb was just rebuilt in the past 6 months. all parts are new. i just got the car a couple weeks ago, and im kinda learning all over again

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Even on the electronic carbs there is a fast idle adjusting screw on the carb to change the speed, adjusting the choke will only control the amount of time the choke remains closed, not the fast idle speed. Look on the linkages with the engine cold and shut off. If you open the throttle to allow the choke to close, you'll find a stop screw that contacts a small cam that controls the amount of throttle opening with the engine cold. That cam moves in steps as the choke opens, and the slow idle speed once the choke is fully open is controlled by the electric solenoid. But when the engine is cold, the fast idle speed is all mechanical.

If that adjustment does not slow it down, I'm going to venture you have an air leak in to the intake manifold somewhere.

-UT-

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
^^ what he said ^^

go3and88

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 5, 2009
Littleton, MA
I too was going to say fast idle screw.

patmckinneyracing

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2009
San Antonio, TX
....eventually after it gets warm ill step on the gas and hear a backfire and it goes down to 1000 rpm. the car is all stock and the carb is rebuilt. im car savvy but i've been out of the v8 seen for awhile. can anyone help?

Now I agree with it possible being the fast idle screw requiring adjusting. But at the same time, if your car is back firing that's normally an indicator that your timing needs to be adjusted. Plus if the timing hasn't been checked, being that your running a 24 year old stock set up, than you might want to just check it anyway just for safety sake. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor