Status
Not open for further replies.

david lehman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2016
la quinta ca.
I AM BUILDING A 85 ELCO & HAS BEEN MANY YEAS SINCE I HAVE WRENCHED ON CARS
I HAVE BEEN READIND THE THREADS ON REAR END REPLACMENTS,
MOTOR GOING IN IS A 383 STROKER APPROX 520 HP NOW THE REAR END THAT CAME WITH CAR IS A 7.5 10 BOLT 343 POSI LOCKER AFTER READING THREADS IM CON VINCED I NEED A STRONGER REAR END SO WITH THAT B EING SAID WHAT SHOULD I BE LOOKING FOR THAT WILL BOLT IN WITHOUT ANY FAB HAVE ACCESS TO A 10 BOLT OUT OF A 71 CHEVELLE WILL THIS FIT APPRECIATE ALL ADVISE

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Your rear most likely has 3.42 gears, not 3.43 and while its generally not recommended you can put some power through the gbody 7.5s, but its not worth the risk even if you go all out and build them up. A 10 bolt from a 68-72 CHEVROLET a body like s Malibu/chevelle will fit but you will need custom upper and lower control arms because that rear end is about an inch or so wider on either side. UMI makes upper and lower arms that are adjustable and have heim joints to avoid binding. If you wanna keep it gm but want it to be bullet proof, get a 12 bolt from a 68-72 CHEVELLE. The BOP rear ends are different and won't fit. In short, that 10 bolt chevelle rear will work, just rebuild it first. Gears, axles, new posi unit, gaskets, bearings, etc.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Forgot to add, may need to move the spring perches on the chevelle rear end as it is wider. Not a deal breaker IMO. Any competent machine or metal shop can reweld them wherever you need them.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
If it's within your budget I personally would go for the 9" if you plan on racing it, since there are many manufacturers that sell them and they are a true bolt in requiring no special suspension parts or modification to the rear end itself plus you can get them in factory width that will not affect how your current rims fit on the back of your car.
Also with a 9" you are dealing with a brand new housing that is properly strengthened instead of a 40+ year old housing that has been through who knows what.
And there is the added benefit of having a third member that drops out that makes gear changes so much easier.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
I love the GN 8.5" I put in my Cutlass w/posi and 3.42; direct bolt in, just had to shorten the DS about an inch. Looking for another to put in my Elco. Mine cost about half the price of a well built Ford 9" and hasn't given me any problems.

LS WAGON

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2016
Bucyrus, Ohio
I used a Ford 8.8 out of the fox body Mustang. It was a 3.73 posi already and changed the axles to 5 lug. But as Mr Sony has mentioned it is recommended to use aftermarket upper & lower control arms. The only fabrication needed was welding on the spring perches and a driveshaft.

bubbameano

Greasemonkey
Feb 14, 2015
Florida
I put a Currie G-Body 9 " with Dick Miller Racing adjustable control arms that I got for $500 in my 83 camino

004_zps2c2156c3.jpg

Bigdaddydupree

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 6, 2014
8.5 is a good option as others have said. I personally have a moser m9 in my car and the reason is because I have broke an axle before. Word to the wise is run decent axles and c clip eliminators, your quarter panels will thank you later.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
While I feel an 8.5 will work for many applications it also has it's limitations besides the fact there are only so many available and many people now think they are made of gold and price accordingly so if you plan on making enough power to require an aftermarket differential carrier, new gears and upgraded axles then basically all you are using is the housing and I think starting off with a 9" housing that is stronger and already has upgraded axles and does not require c-clip eliminators to be track legal puts you ahead at this point.
But this only applies if you require that much rear end to handle the power.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor