Confused on which rear end to replace 7.5 with

Status
Not open for further replies.

CartmanTD

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 8, 2012
Catonsville, Maryland
If you're going to buy a rear and spend big money, get a GM 12 bolt. I believe moser and Currie make one that is a direct bolt in. Best choice out there for these cars if you ask me.

david lehman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2016
la quinta ca.
Your rear most likely has 3.42 gears, not 3.43 and while its generally not recommended you can put some power through the gbody 7.5s, but its not worth the risk even if you go all out and build them up. A 10 bolt from a 68-72 CHEVROLET a body like s Malibu/chevelle will fit but you will need custom upper and lower control arms because that rear end is about an inch or so wider on either side. UMI makes upper and lower arms that are adjustable and have heim joints to avoid binding. If you wanna keep it gm but want it to be bullet proof, get a 12 bolt from a 68-72 CHEVELLE. The BOP rear ends are different and won't fit. In short, that 10 bolt chevelle rear will work, just rebuild it first. Gears, axles, new posi unit, gaskets, bearings, etc.

david lehman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2016
la quinta ca.
Your rear most likely has 3.42 gears, not 3.43 and while its generally not recommended you can put some power through the gbody 7.5s, but its not worth the risk even if you go all out and build them up. A 10 bolt from a 68-72 CHEVROLET a body like s Malibu/chevelle will fit but you will need custom upper and lower control arms because that rear end is about an inch or so wider on either side. UMI makes upper and lower arms that are adjustable and have heim joints to avoid binding. If you wanna keep it gm but want it to be bullet proof, get a 12 bolt from a 68-72 CHEVELLE. The BOP rear ends are different and won't fit. In short, that 10 bolt chevelle rear will work, just rebuild it first. Gears, axles, new posi unit, gaskets, bearings, etc.

david lehman

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 4, 2016
la quinta ca.
THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE IT SOUNDS LIKE A 12 BOLT WOULD BE THE ULTIMATE CHOICE /NOW MY QUESTION IS ONLY 12 BOLT CHEVELLE REARENDS WILL WORK FROM 68 TO 72 ? WITH THE UMI AJUSTABLE CONTROL ARMS OR ARE OTHER CHEVY CARS THAT HAD 12 BOLT RE?

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Your probably going to have a harder time finding a 12 bolt over an 8.5 and pay more for it. I have a hard time throwing down that kind of cash (and won't) for 40 year old pieces that aren't set up the way you want. A body 8.5 rears are cheaper but still need arms and off set wheels and still 40 years old. Put pen to paper and then make your choice.

IMG_4795.JPG

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Adding to pontiacgp's post, that's 4.5 inches total. So it's 2.25 inches on either side. Offset wheels, you were probably gonna get new wheels anyway. 40 years old, should rebuild it anyway. Never trust old parts. They will fit, just with some tweaking.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I personally did not want to buy new wheels just so I could have a stronger rearend and 2.25 inches wider per side added to a 4 inch backspace you probably already have means you are looking at approx. 6 inches of backspace to keep the wheel in the wheel well and without a frame notch and going wider than an 8 inch wheel there will be very limited selection at this backspace

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Strange S60 - direct bolt in. 'Nuff said.

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
not to hijack the thread but it looks like something very strange happened and the thread title got jacked up. If anyone could LMK what its supposed to be or just post it here I'll fix it and hope its not happening to other threads (!) thx.

theoldsone

G-Body Guru
Dec 26, 2014
While I feel an 8.5 will work for many applications it also has it's limitations besides the fact there are only so many available and many people now think they are made of gold and price accordingly so if you plan on making enough power to require an aftermarket differential carrier, new gears and upgraded axles then basically all you are using is the housing and I think starting off with a 9" housing that is stronger and already has upgraded axles and does not require c-clip eliminators to be track legal puts you ahead at this point.
But this only applies if you require that much rear end to handle the power.

Sketch74122137.png

***G BODY 8.5 REAR FOR SALE GOLD! ***
Read entire ad before asking questions!
Gbody rear for sale 8.5 4.22 gears out of a 87 Grand National SS rare car. All new no scamers or low ballers $15,000 FIRM! Don't waste my time and I won't waste yours. Call with questions! Don't ask if I can PayPal. These are hard to find!

• Optimistic
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor