GBOTM Congrats Longroof79, February 2024's G-Body of the Month!

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
You had me fooled. Nope, most of the chromers are gone. I see one in Mineola, Yonkers, Jersey, nothing in Shitty City anymore. I will probably be needing one when I pull my Firebird bumpers down from the rafters.
I'll preface this two ways:

1) I've never used them, nor do I have any skin in the game, just observations; and

2) I've heard some mixed reviews, especially as time goes by.

That said, around the car swap meet circuit down here there are companies that set up a booth and offer re-chromium services. You get them your parts, they do it (or have it done) and then send it back to you.

If you found a good one with good references/reviews it may be an option.

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
You had me fooled. Nope, most of the chromers are gone. I see one in Mineola, Yonkers, Jersey, nothing in Shitty City anymore. I will probably be needing one when I pull my Firebird bumpers down from the rafters.
Mark,
I suggest doing your homework and see what businesses other gearheads recommend. Chroming is an expensive proposition. have you priced out new bumpers for your Firebird?
Hygrade had been one that many local guys have used in the past. Bikers and hot rodders alike. I have heard that their quality had gone downhill.
Check out Hemmings Motor News. They usually have a good listing of services, etc.

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
The one in Jersey down near asbury sucks. They destroyed the chrome on the 65 442 I did at my old job. The customer paid an arm and a leg for it, too.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
, around the car swap meet circuit down here there are companies that set up a booth and offer re-chromium services.
When the Englishtown swap meet was a thing, there was always the 'Bumper Boyz' trailer. They had lots of the popular car bumpers for sale, all done up. For oddball stuff, if you gave it to them, they would get it done, and ship it back to you. Or you pick it up. They had some pretty good looking stuff. What I do know from friends is that re-pop bumpers are like all the other re-pops. Not as good as OEM. So you need to weigh the cost of chroming a decent old bumper VS the cheapola re-pop.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
When the Englishtown swap meet was a thing, there was always the 'Bumper Boyz' trailer. They had lots of the popular car bumpers for sale, all done up. For oddball stuff, if you gave it to them, they would get it done, and ship it back to you. Or you pick it up. They had some pretty good looking stuff. What I do know from friends is that re-pop bumpers are like all the other re-pops. Not as good as OEM. So you need to weigh the cost of chroming a decent old bumper VS the cheapola re-pop.
Mark,
The Bumper Boyz would usually hit all the major east coast swapmeets, as well as others around the country like Carlisle, Hershey, etc... From what I've seen, they did nice work. Years back a friend of mine had his '57 Buick bumpers, grille, etc done by them. I know it cost him a fortune. If you know what a '57 Buick looks like. It's a massive car with tons of chrome on it.
You've brought out a good point concerning re-popped bumpers. The quality usually doesn't come close to OEM parts, unfortunately. You absolutely have to weigh the cost of either, or.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Jack, way back before you could get almost everything re-popped, we used to grab 1st gen Firebirds and strip them in my driveway. I have several fronts and a rear bumper stashed up in my garage rafters. I hope at last one is good enough to use without any effort. Otherwise I am going to have to make that decision. Of course, as a guy from Brooklyn, you know that it does NOT pay to have anything really nice here in Shitty City. If they don't steal it, they will wreck it. Just a fact of life here. So I don't go crazy making stuff perfect. I had a perfect 1968 Buick LaSabre and a drunk with no insurance crashed into it. Never again.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Jack, way back before you could get almost everything re-popped, we used to grab 1st gen Firebirds and strip them in my driveway. I have several fronts and a rear bumper stashed up in my garage rafters. I hope at last one is good enough to use without any effort. Otherwise I am going to have to make that decision. Of course, as a guy from Brooklyn, you know that it does NOT pay to have anything really nice here in Shitty City. If they don't steal it, they will wreck it. Just a fact of life here. So I don't go crazy making stuff perfect. I had a perfect 1968 Buick LaSabre and a drunk with no insurance crashed into it. Never again.
Mark,
You're absolutely right regarding the struggle to keep a nice car in NYC. I hope the bumpers that you stashed away have survived the test of time and the elements. Sometimes even though we have parts "safely" stashed away and sheltered from the elements, they still seem to suffer from humidity, pitting, etc.
I had a nice original '61 euro sunroof bug rear ended by a woman in a huge Buick land yacht. The insurance company gave me bupkes for it. Same as with my Porsche. I got bopped in the rear from a Toyota Supra. Again, the insurance company screwed me. As you said, you can't drive anything nice up there, or park it anywhere. Having a garage, if you're fortunate enough is a blessing. According to one of my old Brooklyn friends, it's not getting any better. He also has an old Porsche that he don't feel comfortable driving around in.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Exactly why I did a cheapola brush paint job on the Bonnewagon. The garage has the Firebird convertible in it. So the wagon is outdoors all year. No way would I put en expensive paint job on it. This way I am not afraid to actually USE it for stuff. I take it fishing, Home Dupa runs, moving large things, parts road trips, all kinds of stuff. In fact I have had a station wagon at all times since around 1980. They are just off the charts for practicality. As you know. :mrgreen:

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Mark,
At least you use your car for what it was intended for, a utility and tow vehicle. My car was used as a daily driver and schlepper for many years. It has survived several NY winters before moving down here, and it was still used as a daily driver until I decided to take it off the road to redo. Fortunately, I had stock piled some parts knowing that the car would be re-painted and made presentable again.
The only thing is, I made the car too nice to use as a utility vehicle. I was maybe considering an S-10 pickup or Ford Ranger as a mini hauler. I had a VW bus that I loved and regret ever getting rid of. That was a handy hauler and traveler. I would even consider an El Camino, but the prices have gotten crazy on them, even ones that were junkyard ready.
Home Dupa....hahaha...I love it! Which reminds me. I have a patch that says, "you bet your dupa I'm Polish".

Last edited:
  • Haha

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor