Congrats!

Love those "at speed" pics

what kind of racing is this, is the passenger ballast? LoL

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
Thanks, everyone!

First, I'd like to thank the Academy....

The picture was taken at the Sandhills Open Road Challenge back in 2010 with my dad running the Rally Computer. My 18 Year old son co-drivers with me now and that Medium tee shirt will fit him perfectly.

We won the 115 MPH class with two on the money runs.

Reactions: 1 user

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Congratulations! Well deserved. Very cool car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

UNGN

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 6, 2016
Southlake, TX
I missed it also, Congrats race car. :cool: details Please.

I bought a 100% stock, rust free 100K mile 1986 2+2 in 1996 for $4,200 at a Used car lot in Greer, SC, drove it as is and at SEMA 1997, looked for ideas on how to build it. Finally had it ready to run by the summer of 1999 and about two days after it was done with about 15 miles on it, we jumped in it and drove it for a 1,000 mile weekend road trip to break in the 502. We built it run the Nevada open road races, but still have not taken it out there to one, not since they have races in Texas and Nebraska, now.

It went through 3 Richmond 6 speed transmission before finally switching to a Tremec T56 Magnum. The rear gears in the 9" have gone from 3.50's to 3.00's to 2.50's and now has 3.25's. In the standing mile, it was actually fastest with the 2.50's, because it could run over 165 in 1:1 and didn't need to shift to a non close ratio overdrive gear.

Here is the Hot Rod Magazine Article on the car with more info and pictures.

IMG_0112 edit.jpg

Over the years in open road racing (basically bracket road racing on a closed public highway) we have had 11 Class wins and a 2nd place overall out of 122 cars. Like bracket racing, you are trying to run a perfect time, but over 57 or 118 miles instead of a 1/8 or 1/4 mile. Like bracket racing, the winners/losers are usually decided by a couple .001 of a second.

My son was a rookie driver last year and he is still learning the car, so we have gone back to the slower classes and are working our way back up to the faster classes (the SORC rules now dictate this because their were too many rookie crashes).

It has a few more years of racing in it, then we'll probably retire it and clean it up a little as we have put about 15,000 very hard miles on it.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Nice! Congrats!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor