Convert to Manual Choke ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021

I NEED a 1901 Edelbrock AVS2 Series for my 305 but they are all back ordered until October...🤦🏾‍♂...1901 is the electric choke 500cfm carburetor...

There is a 1902 AVS2 500cfm, but it's a manual choke and I don't have a manual choke setup in my '84 Monte Carlo...and AVS2 series carburetors can't swap from manual choke to electric choke.

How challenging is changing my choke setup in my car to a manual choke setup ?

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
You sold the carb you had before getting ahold of the new one? I digress

Reference post #21. You want to cable to travel in as smooth of a pass as possible no tight bends. cut the cable to the required length needed. Where you place the pull knob is up to you. Beyond that youtube is truly your best friend here

Reactions: 1 user

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
So you can have the choice to wait for the electric one to be ready, and use your current carb or you can spend unnecessary time installing choke cables, and take more time to getting this vehicle on the road.

I just don’t see the point of hindering the build process here, I’m guessing you don’t need this vehicle to get back and forth from work?
And I can't wait for the electric choke, my mom is moving at the end of this month...

Why must I go into personal details about my build ?

Your only concern should be whether you can, or not, provide on topic advice i.e. "choke cable installation."...if not, the intention is irrelevant.

Y'all really start going left field, making any problems I have, even harder... I honestly don't get these kinds of responses from other groups and forums.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
You sold the carb you had before getting ahold of the new one? I digress

Reference post #21. You want to cable to travel in as smooth of a pass as possible no tight bends. cut the cable to the required length needed. Where you place the pull knob is up to you. Beyond that youtube is truly your best friend here
No tight bends, got it 👍🏾...

If i do cut it, how do I reattach the cut ends together ?

bruisedbanana79

Master Mechanic
May 6, 2021
No tight bends, got it 👍🏾...

If i do cut it, how do I reattach the cut ends together ?
youtube.com

Sir, I am done with you and trying to help you out. You have shown no effort in researching the required task at hand. If you had spent your time watching videos and trying to understand the task while formulating educated questions instead of responding to snarky remarks you would be worlds ahead. You are asking for people who value our time and experience to literally hold your hand through every single little step. I hope to god I raise my son to not rely on people for help when the information that is needed is already available. Shoot I typed in hooking up manual choke on youtube and was provided hours of videos that go into great detail of every step that is needed.

• Winner
Reactions: 6 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
youtube.com

Sir, I am done with you and trying to help you out. You have shown no effort in researching the required task at hand. If you had spent your time watching videos and trying to understand the task while formulating educated questions instead of responding to snarky remarks you would be worlds ahead. You are asking for people who value our time and experience to literally hold your hand through every single little step. I hope to god I raise my son to not rely on people for help when the information that is needed is already available. Shoot I typed in hooking up manual choke on youtube and was provided hours of videos that go into great detail of every step that is needed.
If YouTube was an option I would be there...I watch more videos than you think I do, and if you found a video of someone cutting a cable and showing you how to reattach it, then share the link...💁🏾‍♂

Good on being done with me and helping me out for gaining clarity...🥱👍🏾...I don't like teachers like that anyways...and since you're done, stay out of my threads 🗣🔊💯

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Why must I go into personal details about my build ?
Because how could anybody possibly help, and give you the right information if we don’t have the whole story? It’s just going to make helping you more difficult, like how am I supposed to know you can’t use the old carburetor, if you never said that?

That’s why I ask the questions I am, so I know logically how to approach your situation.

Your only concern should be whether you can, or not, provide on topic advice i.e. "choke cable installation."...if not, the intention is irrelevant.
My concern should be getting you on the road. If you want to add barriers, that’s up to you to be truly honest man.

But at the same time, don’t talk to me about irrelevant stuff, when thats what you have been doing this whole build.

You say you need this done by at the end of the month, but you got rid of your old carburetor, bought a new fan, installed a new intake and more.

Now do you understand why I am trying to get this done for you in the most simple and easiest way possible? Think about it man.

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
If you can't get the carb you want in the timeframe you need, new, you could try ebay, buy a used one and either rebuild it yourself or buy one already rebuilt.

I still don't understand why you want a 500 CFM carburetor. I know you've "done the math" but a 600 CFM will be more readily available and be absolutely fine on your 305. Also, the 1901 is mechanical secondary, right? You're running a 3 speed auto? Mechanical secondary won't do you much good.

No matter what carb you go with you need to know one thing: It's not going to be a drop on swap. You will ABSOLUTELY have to tune and adjust it to your engine. I'm going through that right now on the 600 CFM Holley DP I just put on my car. It's going to take time, patience, and knowledge/experience to get right, but I've rebuilt a lot of carbs, so I know what to do. You can do a lot of damage to your engine very quickly by tuning your carb, whatever you go with, wrong. This is not something you're going to find easy or quick to do. Whatever carb you land on, get a book about tuning it, be ready to buy jets, valves, nozzles, and springs to get it set right.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Directed at no one specific.....

We really need a shitshow emoji

To the point asked...

You don't reconnect the cut pieces. After selecting location for knob, and mounting cable/knob assembly to (presumably dash), you install cable through hole made in firewall, attach outer cable jacket to bracket on carb, pull knob Waaaay back, cut jacket to length dictated by carb cable attaching bracket and loosely tighten jacket to bracket. Push cable all the way in, feed through swivel on carb's choke lever, tighten, trim excess cable wire/core off, tighten outer jacket clamp. Done

Last edited:
  • Agree

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
If you can't get the carb you want in the timeframe you need, new, you could try ebay, buy a used one and either rebuild it yourself or buy one already rebuilt.

I still don't understand why you want a 500 CFM carburetor. I know you've "done the math" but a 600 CFM will be more readily available and be absolutely fine on your 305. Also, the 1901 is mechanical secondary, right? You're running a 3 speed auto? Mechanical secondary won't do you much good.

No matter what carb you go with you need to know one thing: It's not going to be a drop on swap. You will ABSOLUTELY have to tune and adjust it to your engine. I'm going through that right now on the 600 CFM Holley DP I just put on my car. It's going to take time, patience, and knowledge/experience to get right, but I've rebuilt a lot of carbs, so I know what to do. You can do a lot of damage to your engine very quickly by tuning your carb, whatever you go with, wrong. This is not something you're going to find easy or quick to do. Whatever carb you land on, get a book about tuning it, be ready to buy jets, valves, nozzles, and springs to get it set right.
Not entirely true. The Stage 2 quadrajet from Jet performance comes pre-tuned for your specific engine, down to mods you do to the intake, cam, etc. I really never understood why so many people opt for the shiny bling aftermarket when there are so many superior products available using the original qjet as the base....

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
Not entirely true. The Stage 2 quadrajet from Jet performance comes pre-tuned for your specific engine, down to mods you do to the intake, cam, etc. I really never understood why so many people opt for the shiny bling aftermarket when there are so many superior products available using the original qjet as the base....
Hot damn, I didn't even know these guys existed! Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor