Coolant temp sensor in water neck

Status
Not open for further replies.

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
When I put my new motor in this winter, I came across a little problem... I wanted to use factory cutlass rally gauges, so I bought a factory water temp sensor to make sure it's compatible. However, I also used vortec heads, which created a problem since the holes into the water jacket on vortec heads are smaller than on regular sbc heads. So I put my sensor in the one place that worked, my water neck. Do you think the readings it puts out would still be somewhat accurate? I've noticed if I drive on the highway, my temp is normal, but if I drive around town casually, my temperature goes way up and stays there until I drive on the highway. Once I get up to highway speed, the temperature stays high for half a minute and then drops pretty fast right back to normal. I'm thinking that since my sensor is after the thermostat, it's throwing off the reading.

Also, I'm running a mild small block with a 7 blade flex fan and a 2 core aluminum rad.

Thanks

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I'd say that since the sensor is after the stat, you're getting a coolant temp reading very close to whatever it takes to open the stat. If you take a stat and boil it in a pan of water and check it with a candy thermometer, you will find out exactly what the opening and closing temps are. With the stat in a cylinder head, you get a high reading because the head will get much hotter than the opening temperature until it actually opens. Your symptoms sound like poor airflow over the radiator at street speeds, and your gauge is telling it like it is.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Why not use some kind of adapter for the head fitting? And wow, that oil gauge is almost maxed out lol.

nycutlass

G-Body Guru
Jul 29, 2008
NY
i run mine in the intake manifold works fine for me .

woodss

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 15, 2010
nycutlass said:
i run mine in the intake manifold works fine for me .
x2 - intake manifold. Having it on the neck you may get some signifigant varaitions depending on the t-stat being open or closed that wont neccesarily represent actual engine temp.

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
Thanks for the advise guys. I feel pretty stupid now....but I just assumed that my coolant was full. However, it was about 10 inches low in the rad, so i filled it up and drove it up to the garage to do an oil change, and noticed that my motor is rather soaked with liquid, which I at first assumed was oil, but when I wiped it up it had a slightly green tint to it, so I did a bit of searching and determined that it was coming from on of my gaskets between the engine and water pump. So I took off tha alternator and loosened the water pump, and was nosing around in there a bit, and happened to notice that I have a more serious problem:

034.jpg

A leak between my intake and block
So, I guess thats where my leak is. My newest question is.. Would it be coolant or oil coming from there? I thought that behind there is the lifter valley, so there would be no reason for coolant to come from there?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Maybe its coming from there?
l
l
l
V
254336_10150202600471423_554071422_7415228_5260114_n.jpg

jordanfr13

Apprentice
Sep 23, 2009
Morris, MB, Canada
I don't think so...If you look closely at where you started your arrow, it's right on where my intake gasket is blown out.

And pontiacgp...Can you take a picture of where yours is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor