MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to turn the heat a little higher then is needed. And push the puddle instead of dragging it. Do you now have to move the lca mount inward?

There are a lot of compromises when you go from vertical to diagonal to horizontal under a car. It is "fun" changing methods every so often over a short period of time/distance. Instagram welders have it easy.

Nope, the LCA is good to go in the stock location with narrower tubular arms. Tonnes of space... and expense. I should just build some - LOL. Truth be told, I can probably just lop off a chunk of the stock LCAs to gain the room needed for the time being. It's not like this suspension is going to be doing much.

I'll pop an arm in this weekend and see where I am at before committing. Still calling UMI in the morning.

Suddenly I don’t look so crazy for going outwards of the stock framerails. But my situation was a little unique, using a 12 bolt from a ‘71 Chevelle so it was already wider than necessary. I still narrowed it a little bit to get the look I wanted with the 18x10’s, but as the commercial back in the day said, wider is better.

941DC1DC-A5D8-4141-BEA1-38A1608AC03A.jpeg

When I get back on the car, I’ll still have to widen the quarters and outer wheelwells a little more so it’ll tuck the rear wheels when it’s aired down, but that’s nothing compared to re-engineering the wheel like you’re doing.

I equate it to pulling on a loose thread on your sock: You might tug on that thread at the cuff, but it’ll bunch up at the toe. Everything is connected, modifying something here will have unforeseen consequences over there.

I bought a welding shirt and burned through it. Next time it's cow @$$.

I should show you the damage to the apron I bought. It's pretty extensive - saved my bacon, and saved me from smelling like frying bacon, countless times.

Reactions: Tony1968
Suddenly I don’t look so crazy for going outwards of the stock framerails. But my situation was a little unique, using a 12 bolt from a ‘71 Chevelle so it was already wider than necessary. I still narrowed it a little bit to get the look I wanted with the 18x10’s, but as the commercial back in the day said, wider is better.

View attachment 169725

When I get back on the car, I’ll still have to widen the quarters and outer wheelwells a little more so it’ll tuck the rear wheels when it’s aired down, but that’s nothing compared to re-engineering the wheel like you’re doing.

I equate it to pulling on a loose thread on your sock: You might tug on that thread at the cuff, but it’ll bunch up at the toe. Everything is connected, modifying something here will have unforeseen consequences over there.

Doing a widebody on the Monte was kicked around a bunch. Even thought about stretching the quarters using a port-a-pack Just another approach to solving an 80s mid-sized car problem you create for your self.

There were some indicators that this situation could have developed. But, it was "cannot see the forest for the trees" type of scenario.

forest woods GIF by truTV’s Adam Ruins Everything

Peeling the onion.

girl onion GIF

View attachment 169725

Zdf Im Horny GIF by funk

• Haha
Reactions: 64nailhead
Peeling the onion.

girl onion GIF
Maybe change your onion. Next time, get a Vidalia. You can eat them all day without the wincing.

The beauty is, everyone here, and you included, know you can do it. Some people have the skills already like they were born with a weld gun in their hand, but I wonder what the very first painting that Leonardo da Vinci painted looked like? I think he called it "Hammered Sh*t" based on public reaction. I exaggerate to clarify. Sure, it may take you longer, but you're like a hungry dog with a bone when it comes to perseverance. Not letting go until you get your fill.

I'm a bit jelly of people who can weld and do bodywork. I absolutely suck at it.

Keep up the good fight.

KXrtWwj.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor