MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lolz, that GP commercial is sweet. Back when commercials talked about car's design and abilities instead of 'tecknolegy' or 'wow thats a _____ brand' focus groups.

I have been telling people that clean W body GTP's are going to be a future collector car. At least for people my age, you were the sh*t if you had a l67 in a rural MN high school parking lot and they are all wasted now. I have personally been involved with parting out like 5 SSEI's, regal GS, and GTP's.

But those W body GP's were no wider than the equivalent impala or regal, just leftover John Delorian era marketing.

Anyways getting back on topic....

Are you done with mid-frame strengthening design yet? Curious how/if this affects side to side rigidity.

Anyways getting back on topic....

Are you done with mid-frame strengthening design yet? Curious how/if this affects side to side rigidity.

Damn good question. This is partially why I added that brace between the gas tank and differential housing, added the body mount between the over axle rails and welded the spring pockets to the torque box and frame. I am planning to do something interesting (?) with the SFCs and adding body mounts. I still plan on putting delrin pucks in where the rubbers are now.

Think unibody.

A cage welded to the body and chassis would be ideal, but ruins the car.

Maybe change your onion. Next time, get a Vidalia. You can eat them all day without the wincing.

The beauty is, everyone here, and you included, know you can do it. Some people have the skills already like they were born with a weld gun in their hand, but I wonder what the very first painting that Leonardo da Vinci painted looked like? I think he called it "Hammered Sh*t" based on public reaction. I exaggerate to clarify. Sure, it may take you longer, but you're like a hungry dog with a bone when it comes to perseverance. Not letting go until you get your fill.

I'm a bit jelly of people who can weld and do bodywork. I absolutely suck at it.

Keep up the good fight.

KXrtWwj.jpg

Appreciate it.

I suppose the only thing I want, beyond personal growth, is to encourage others to do bold things.

This reminds me of when I became a safety officer:

Last edited:
Mark lines and cut.

PXL_20210306_144029087.jpg
PXL_20210306_144052179.jpg

Smash flat. Bzzt bzzt grind.

PXL_20210306_172323355.jpg

Tada!

It was:

PXL_20210306_172345151.jpg

It is:

PXL_20210306_172334676.jpg

One side down. One to go.

Soon it will have.......... THE MEATS!

Damn good question. This is partially why I added that brace between the gas tank and differential housing, added the body mount between the over axle rails and welded the spring pockets to the torque box and frame. I am planning to do something interesting (?) with the SFCs and adding body mounts. I still plan on putting delrin pucks in where the rubbers are now.

Think unibody.

A cage welded to the body and chassis would be ideal, but ruins the car.
Think 6 point. Won’t ruin the car if it’s behind your head, just makes back seat entry tougher. But rear rigidity would be greatly improved (imo).

Well this monkey is officially off my back.

Couple of process pics.

PXL_20210306_194031454.jpg
PXL_20210306_200804717.jpg
PXL_20210306_215449382.jpg

I end up in the zone and often forget to pause to capture the moment. Also time is money.

To help compensate for the narrowed rails I added a couple of gussets.

PXL_20210306_215400710.jpg

Will it make a difference? I dunno. But, I feel better having had done it. Options were limited due to the space between the rail and LCA. If I really get concerned I can always splice in a section of the stock rails I cut out and bulk up that area between the torque box and control arm. Something something aftermarket parts would solve that now...

64nailhead, I rather run more tubing under the car than in the car. There is nothing stopping me from going full-retard on this car other than the limitations I am imposing on myself. Maybe it'll get the full treatment once the girls aren't riding in the backseat.

I've been making a new set of turbo pipes for a hot side and I'm smelling, feeling and tasting steel particles for the past two nights. You must be pooping them now with the amount of grinding you've done, ehh?

(ehh? - that's my Canukistan feel good word.)

I've been making a new set of turbo pipes for a hot side and I'm smelling, feeling and tasting steel particles for the past two nights. You must be pooping them now with the amount of grinding you've done, ehh?

(ehh? - that's my Canukistan feel good word.)

I've been wearing an R95 respirator. And I can still taste it.

One too many "H"s, eh. 😉

Well this monkey is officially off my back.

Couple of process pics.

View attachment 169888View attachment 169889View attachment 169890

I end up in the zone and often forget to pause to capture the moment. Also time is money.

To help compensate for the narrowed rails I added a couple of gussets.

View attachment 169891

Will it make a difference? I dunno. But, I feel better having had done it. Options were limited due to the space between the rail and LCA. If I really get concerned I can always splice in a section of the stock rails I cut out and bulk up that area between the torque box and control arm. Something something aftermarket parts would solve that now...

64nailhead, I rather run more tubing under the car than in the car. There is nothing stopping me from going full-retard on this car other than the limitations I am imposing on myself. Maybe it'll get the full treatment once the girls aren't riding in the backseat.
Ummm...

Confused Trailer Park Boys GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor