MONTE CARLO "COPO" Monte Carlo SS - Turbosaurus Build (Swinging Dick Racing's c*ck got bent... she bounced a little too high & hard, & came down awkwardly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Please educate this south of the border hill person.

Donovan, what is a stretcher/shrinker?

Mike, what is a boom tube?

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
  • Wow
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Holy crap, I'm going to lose all respect for you if you buy that thing rather flux core the crap out of a pile of scrap to make one!

That thing looks to be about 1.5 inside height. My old guy math says that it has to 8.5" wide to handle a 4" down pipe.

Are they noisy, or is there another reason they are called Boom Tubes?

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Holy crap, I'm going to lose all respect for you if you buy that thing rather flux core the crap out of a pile of scrap to make one!

That thing looks to be about 1.5 inside height. My old guy math says that it has to 8.5" wide to handle a 4" down pipe.

Are they noisy, or is there another reason they are called Boom Tubes?

Of course I am going to build it. And yes, loud. Very.

But, the turbo should help keep the noise down.

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Please educate this south of the border hill person.

Donovan, what is a stretcher/shrinker?

Random description pirated from the interwebz:

“A metal shrinker stretcher is a powerful tool, which is used to shape a metal. To be precise, this tool is used to make curve on a piece of metal. Restoration process of an auto body can be accelerated with the help of metal shrinker stretchers instead of traditional method of planishing hammer.”

It’s especially useful for creating things like the curved section of a wheel arch opening for example, like Mike was doing. As we well know, metal doesn’t like to form in a 90 degree angle whilst going around a bend. It wants to buckle and kink. However if you can shrink the metal in the inside curve, or stretch it on the outside curve, it naturally forms it’s own bend.

I have one of these tools, it can be set up in either configuration because it has two sets of interchangeable jaws. One shrinks by gripping the metal and pulling it together, the other spreads it apart. Extremely handy for fabricating pieces from scratch.

9616E5D5-8EBF-49BA-9FF9-D3F83FD989F5.jpeg

AF2BFBFB-50B1-4DFE-AB29-604D1BB1C0ED.jpeg

Sorry for the thread jack MHM.

• Informative
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Lmfao.... yes, of course.
Muffler.png

I'm agreeing with Mike on this one - definition 1 b is my preference and I believe that Mike is correct - a Wuhan War Whistle does decrease the amount of decibels.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Boom tubes, aka Nascar exhaust, are very cool but heavy!!!

I built an entire 3" dual exhaust out of aluminum... I am not concerned with "weight". ;)

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor