Could Be Looking At An 85 CUTLASS 442 This Weekend!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dream on mcss

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2011
Oxford, MI
Okay, HOPEFULLY this time I'll be able to convince my parents to buy me this one. Its an 85 Cutlass 442 (YEAH, THATS RIGHT! I SAID FOUR FOUR TWO!!!!). The guy wants $1200 for it! The body doesnt look too bad either, just a few small problems. Anyway I sent the guy an email and he still has it, so maybe I'll be able to convince my mom to take me to look at it, and hopefully I'll be able to get it... (yeah right) Hopefully...

http://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/cto/2571886900.html

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
My guess is you'll need at least a grand if the engine/trans/rear works fine. Check the vin# and engine vin# to see if they match if its a real 442.

This: "The car is driveable but I would not drive it far." concerns me. Also that he mentions it is a project car. What he is trying to say is that it needs a lot of $$$. The body may look good but it may have been a quick fix cheap paint job to hide a lot of sin.

Why not buy your own car? I hate it when kids do this to parents its like you're pawning her to buy you a car and you should know its going to need 1-4 grand in repairs and if you don't have the money to pay the grand up front who's going to be paying the repairs? not cool. get a job.

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
very cool josh! hope you get it, it would be hilarious to see three gbodys and a bunch of imports in the shop all at the same time LOL muscle cars FTW!!!!

86 maroon gp 2+2

Master Mechanic
Nov 12, 2010
Oxford, MI
custom442 said:
My guess is you'll need at least a grand if the engine/trans/rear works fine. Check the vin# and engine vin# to see if they match if its a real 442.

This: "The car is driveable but I would not drive it far." concerns me. Also that he mentions it is a project car. What he is trying to say is that it needs a lot of $$$. The body may look good but it may have been a quick fix cheap paint job to hide a lot of sin.

Why not buy your own car? I hate it when kids do this to parents its like you're pawning her to buy you a car and you should know its going to need 1-4 grand in repairs and if you don't have the money to pay the grand up front who's going to be paying the repairs? not cool. get a job.

that was mean dude I know josh and he never begs his parents for anything, this is like a one time deal for him and you kind of ruined it for him :/

custom442

Royal Smart Person
Jul 4, 2008
Houston
86 maroon gp 2+2 said:
custom442 said:

that was mean dude I know josh and he never begs his parents for anything, this is like a one time deal for him and you kind of ruined it for him :/

what was mean about that.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I agree with Custom442 and on top of that, I think it's a rip off plain and simple. Especially considering your circumstances Dream On McSS. The only thing that makes that car worth the money he's asking is the 8.5in rear in it. Even if it's a real 442 I don't think it's that special, especially since 442 in the 80's basically was just a trim package yeah yeah it's more rare and had 40 more hp than a basic Cutlass, and the 8.5 rear, who cares. It's not like the SS, Buick GSX, Mach 1, and 442's of the 60's and 70's. If it had Hurst Lightning Rods, and the original paint that would definitely be a steal... But as it sits, it's just another beat up project cutlass with a vin no. that says it's a 442. If it was daily driver material without having to put any money into it as it sits, and could be a resto project it wouldn't be a bad deal. But you don't have the money to be wasting fixing other peoples F ups... Get yourself a good running grandma's car that you can mess with as you go. Don't buy someone elses' problem.

There's a guy in my home town that would sell me a 86 442 that has very very nice original paint and a practically mint interior, and is ready to be driven every day for 3 grand. You're going to have to put a lot more than three grand in that car to make it nice trust me... There are much better deals out there than that. For your first car don't get suckered into that "it's rare so it's better" crap... Just get something that's a good runner and work on it. When you're older, out of highschool, have a job, and have money to waste on "rare" then go ahead.

I'm not actually telling you not to do it... But I've been where you are... You'll probably regret it. My Regal ran good and didn't have any problems when I bought it and I paid more than they're asking for that 442 for it... And in the 2 years and about 20-25 thousand miles I put on it, I spent hundreds of dollars and many many hours of working on it and lots of bumming rides when it would die on me. And it was completely stock and slower than molasses in January, and only got about 8-12 mpg range depending on conditions and how bad my mood was that day. :lol:

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
what a bunch of a holes. first off the only thing my parents EVER bought me is my first car that was a 78 regal limited and it needed just as much work, i worked from 15 on and paid for everything on it and i learned a TON on it and started my love of g bodies. 15 years later i still have a regal and several other g bodies. buncha haters

second, save that car! you people seem to think a 442 is just another cutlass? start looking online! they are selling for up to 20k right now and in the 2 years that i have owned mine they have literally doubled in price and thats in a bad economy! there were only 3000 85 442s made! how many you think are left with all of them getting scraped for their rear ends, wrecked, rusted out.... ??? and they had the best of the best period! everything about them screamed high performance except the motor which is true of any g body besides a turbo regal. it makes me sick when people act like they are worth nothing more then a rear end and scrap them. i remember when my dad bought his 64 impala SS and those cars were looked at about the same way and now they bring in serious cash. my dad still talks about that car and how he was a fool to sell it. this forum is has really changed

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Jesus, I'm glad I didn't come here when I was this kids age...
I would've never bought my theft-recovery 442 all the way from the east coast, sight unseen... :lol:

And yeah, at 17, I borrowed $2600 from my dad (only time he has ever loaned me a dime).
The next year, instead of a graduation present he knocked the $500 it cost to ship it off my debt, and I payed him back the rest over the next couple years.

What makes that car such a rip off?
If it runs and drives and it's not rusty, that's a heck of a deal. Even better if the interior is decent.
Even replacing the complete rear brake system isn't more than a couple hundred bucks...
Fix the shifter(easy) and replace the windshield (150 bucks), and you're on the road... Paint can wait.
Seems more people are parting out 442s than building them...
If I had the space, I'd be buying up cars like this left and right.

You 'glass half empty' folks need to live a little... 8)

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
that is a nice regal also... not a 442 but i saw that and it looks clean as hell and for that price its a steal IF it isnt a rust bucket.

this forum use to be full of encouragment and helpful info and now its full of a bunch of opinionated a holes bashing everything anyone does... i stayed away from here for almost 6 months and i started coming back again recently but realizing again why i left along with allot of the members that i use to see post on here all the time

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor