CPP C5 spindles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
bump steer is adjusted by the steering arm on the spindle, camber gain is only acheived after the upper arm is past the center point of the arc.

Camber gain goes both ways, and while the upper arm has more of a say in the matter being shorter the lower arm plays its part as well. Bump steer is absolutely influenced by upper and lower arm geometry, and arm geometry is technically ball joint geometry. You can make the arm any shape you want and it won't affect a thing. Moving inboard and outboard (BJs) mounting points is what affects all this stuff. Outer tie rod end is step 1, tie rod length and inner tie rod location is step 2. The tie rod ideally needs to keep up with the upper and lower arms, when it doesn't you get bump steer.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Camber gain goes both ways, and while the upper arm has more of a say in the matter being shorter the lower arm plays its part as well. Bump steer is absolutely influenced by upper and lower arm geometry, and arm geometry is technically ball joint geometry. You can make the arm any shape you want and it won't affect a thing. Moving inboard and outboard (BJs) mounting points is what affects all this stuff. Outer tie rod end is step 1, tie rod length and inner tie rod location is step 2. The tie rod ideally needs to keep up with the upper and lower arms, when it doesn't you get bump steer.

I don't know if you have ever used a bump steer gauge and have adjusted the bump steer but I have on all our circle track cars.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I don't know if you have ever used a bump steer gauge and have adjusted the bump steer but I have on all our circle track cars.

Nope, just read a lot about it. I'm about to order a bump steer kit for my Camaro and intend to shine a laser at a piece of paper taped to my garage door to measure for the best results as opposed to merely bolting it on like most do. I'm curious to see where I start and where I end up.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Nope, just read a lot about it. I'm about to order a bump steer kit for my Camaro and intend to shine a laser at a piece of paper taped to my garage door to measure for the best results as opposed to merely bolting it on like most do. I'm curious to see where I start and where I end up.

on a street car I just make sure the tie rod arm is parallel the lower control arm I am not interested in removing the spring and shock just to measure the bump steer, I'm only trying to limit the bump steer, you will never eliminate it.

Reactions: 1 user

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
This isn't a street car and after watching a couple Youtube videos where people do measure it's crazy the way it jumps back and forth with different shims. It looks like it doesn't respond linearly to adding or removing shims at all but yeah, at the end of the day they only made it less bad. If I get a tenth or 2 on a 2 minute lap it'll be worth it. It'll be interesting to see if I can really feel any sort of difference.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Not too sure why everyone has a hard on for the sealed bearings.

Timken, REM polished bearings and races with a DRP bearing preloader allows for almost 0 friction, will last forever, and is more stable than a sealed hub.

All that and youve spent half the money you wouldve on Timken sealed units.

Reactions: 2 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
That's pretty damn cool. It seems like you can get away with less preload that way with the inner races being held rigid and parallel?

You still torque it pretty hard, its just that the inner spacer is preventing you from locking the bearings up. Same principal as a pinion spacer/crush sleeve.

Heres some real data
1582911123104.png

• Informative

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
This REM sounds like it has a similar effect as WPC treating does? They don't really let on exactly what they do, but I see it reduces friction noticeably and can be performed on a number of components. More cheater shjt. 😎

Northernregal

Sloppy McRodbender
Oct 24, 2017
Red Deer, Northern Montana territory
Not too sure why everyone has a hard on for the sealed bearings.

Timken, REM polished bearings and races with a DRP bearing preloader allows for almost 0 friction, will last forever, and is more stable than a sealed hub.

All that and youve spent half the money you wouldve on Timken sealed units.

maxresdefault.jpg

Mind blown....

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor