Cross pin bolt broke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Boy she sure don't like being tinkered on..

Had some rear drum grabby issues.. pulled the drum, a bit of diff fluid in it.

decided to check the vent, the cap wasn't moving, so I cleaned it up, cap moves freely

decided to go ahead with axel seal replacement... pulled the diff cap off, pulled the cross pin bolt, and it was about 1/2 inch long.

buttoned her all back up..

Solution ideas?

-Gonz

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
LH drill bit

Reactions: 1 users

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
A punch a big hammer and a strong arm.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
You weld a coat hanger to it with jumper cables to the battery. That's what we did on Drag Week last year, anyway.
Ah, the smell of smoldering gear oil. Like a burnt clutch!

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Problem with these is the pin doesn't prevent movement of the cross shaft, it merely keeps it from flinging out. Which is sorta stupid. If the pin moves a little back and forth, over time it keeps hammering on the end of the bolt which isn't strong enough to keep from breaking off. And it usually breaks off at the end of the threaded section or with about 1/2 of a thread left on it. They normally are loose enough to come right out if you can get them to turn. Common problem with GM rear ends for like, ever. STUPID. But, at least the cross shaft stays in place 99.99% of the time. I've only experienced a miracle probably twice in my life where the pin had not broken when removed. Not like I've done a hundred rear end inspections but I've been in several in my day.

cross_pin_bolt-1.JPG

You still will need a new screw pin. In the early years, GM sold them in a box of 20. There's likely a reason for that. I'm sure they knew the issue, they just didn't care.

GM p/n 393132, superseded to 14056196, and then again to 25872305. Group 5.518

There are aftermarket ones, but unsure of what they're about as far as quality and who makes them.

Gonzo1970 If you need a GM one, hit me up. I'll send you a freebie. I've got several "in stock" :)

Triva: This is one of those times where the SAME p/n is listed in the parts book where the name changes halfway down in the group. First it's called a bolt, then they change the name to "screw". P/N remains the same. :unsure:

Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor