Cross Shaft Bolt/Stud Source

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Careful with the nylocks. A friend of mine had an issue with the rear suspension of his 71 Chevelle due to losing a nylock. I used prevailing torque locknuts on the full suspensions in both my cars.

Thanks for the warning, I only use the nylocks one time. I have standard nuts to use when doing a wheel alignment then switch those nuts out with new nylocks. The nylocks are easy to check and they have never loosened up...so far..:whistle:

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Thanks for the warning, I only use the nylocks one time. I have standard nuts to use when doing a wheel alignment then switch those nuts out with new nylocks. The nylocks are easy to check and they have never loosened up...so far..:whistle:
I used flange lock nuts on the rear suspension of my 81. Same with flange bolts. Did away with the need for a bunch of hardened washers. Plus it was easier to get the bolts in and the nuts on. No washers to drop ! LOL I think they were $.50 each back when I bought them. The hardest thing was finding them all in grade 10.9. If you ever decide to change over you can find a ton of grade 10.9 at belmetric. Prices are good and they usually mail stuff out the same day.

Attachments

• NCLh12YLW Nut Conical Lock Metric 10mm DIN 980V.jpg
    NCLh12YLW Nut Conical Lock Metric 10mm DIN 980V.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 153
  • NTL10X15YLW Yellow Zinc M10 Flange Top Lock.jpg
    NTL10X15YLW Yellow Zinc M10 Flange Top Lock.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 167

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I used flange lock nuts on the rear suspension of my 81. Same with flange bolts. Did away with the need for a bunch of hardened washers. Plus it was easier to get the bolts in and the nuts on. No washers to drop ! LOL I think they were $.50 each back when I bought them. The hardest thing was finding them all in grade 10.9. If you ever decide to change over you can find a ton of grade 10.9 at belmetric. Prices are good and they usually mail stuff out the same day.

I have changed all the suspension bolts to grade 8 SAE 1/2". The reason I changed the upper a arm bolts to 1/2" is because the UB machine uppers need the 1/2", the upper control arm is too sloppy with the stock bolts.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I have changed all the suspension bolts to grade 8 SAE 1/2". The reason I changed the upper a arm bolts to 1/2" is because the UB machine uppers need the 1/2", the upper control arm is too sloppy with the stock bolts.

I just sent an email to UMI. I plan of pulling out the rear to clean it up and I figured I'd buy a set of their tubular arms. I asked them what size bolts their kit uses. Pretty sure I already have them new in metric. Would suck it I cant use them. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor