Cutlass supreme Accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Tahiti - French Polynesia
Finally the solenoid was not exactly the same so I decided to buy the mini starter!
But I dont get how to put it to make it fit...?!
I have the reference sum-829105 from summit racing, is it compatible with oldsmobile?
20200421_171227.jpg 20200421_171155.jpg

I tried with solenoid up, but it hits the block, with solenoid down it hits the header of the exhaust!
If you can help me!! Thanks

if this is not the good mini starter :
The solenoid the seller has in stock is the reference 1m1028, on rockauto it's said that it fits oldsmobile 1982-1997.
rockauto recommand for my car a solenoid 1m1027, it's said that it fits 1958-1981.
my question : do you think I can replace the solenoid with the 1M1028 even if my car is 1980 ?

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
It is clockable in multiple positions, can it go between those positions? Yeah, headers make it more difficult. There are mini starters that are much more compact that would work better. For the solenoid you need to look at it, probably different. Is there any wreckers on the island? This is the mini starter I use, super compact. I actually ground slightly on the body to tuck it up super tight. Ebay and Amazon has this style under different sellers.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...0001&campid=5335822911&icep_item=163952392251

Reactions: 2 users

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Yes I tried with the solenoid up and with the solenoid down. I see only theses 2 positions. as the solenoid is not oriented on the good side on this model I think I won't be able to make it fit.

I will try to compare the 2 solenoids 1m1027 and 1m1028, the one that the seller has seems to be shorter than the one on my starter but I seems to have the same width...

what do you mean by wrekers ? you mean tow trucks ?

yes your model of mini starter seems to fit better but the one I have a sadly the only one available here !

5spdCab

Royal Smart Person
Dec 29, 2019
Tukwila, Wa.
Yes I tried with the solenoid up and with the solenoid down. I see only theses 2 positions. as the solenoid is not oriented on the good side on this model I think I won't be able to make it fit.
I will try to compare the 2 solenoids, the one that the seller has seems to be shorter than the one on my starter but I seems to have the same width...
what do you mean by wrekers ? you mean tow trucks ?
yes your model of mini starter seems to fit better but the one I have a sadly the only one available here !
When he said wreckers, he is talking about junkyard, wrecking yards, places that collect and part out wrecked vehicles. Also, in case you are wondering what "clockable" means, there should be several mounting holes for the solenoid to be rotated on the starter body.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The starters will be the same on the big cars and the 60's and 70's Oldsmobile's as well. See if any of them are around in yards.

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
When he said wreckers, he is talking about junkyard, wrecking yards, places that collect and part out wrecked vehicles. Also, in case you are wondering what "clockable" means, there should be several mounting holes for the solenoid to be rotated on the starter body.
Ok I didn't get that ! thanks I will look tonight if I can change the orientation of the solenoid !

Reactions: 1 users

mickeypowa

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2016
Hi guys!
I tried all the positions and it doesn't fit ! I already managed to resale it !
So i'm now considering ordering a new starter from rockauto.
But I have a question : my oldsmobile was originally a v8 diesel, but the engine has been converted into gasoline burner with a carburetor few years ago.
So do you know if I need a starter for v8 diesel or for v8 gasoline !? Because they don't have the same reference number.
Sorry if it is a dumb question ! But I don't want to order the wrong one !
Thanks !!
Mickey

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
as far as i know, the starter should be the same. the diesel had 22:1 compression so it should crank over the gas engine no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor