Cuts out while cold

Status
Not open for further replies.

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
I have a problem and need some help, the camino runs good when its warmed up. but when i first start it and until it gets warm it cuts out and backfires threw the carb. any suggestions

the engine is a 267 for all that dont already know. the only mod is a after market open air cleaner.

I HAVE
changed plugs and wires
set the timing
checked all the vacuum lines
set the idle down as low as i can get it without stalling
cleaned the carb

when i bought it the emission tubes were missing off the manifolds and the smog pump was disconnected would any of this be an issue.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Didn't mention adjusting the 2 idle mixture screws on the front of the carb, they probably need to be turned outwards more to richen the idle/cruise mixture. Several methods of adjusting these, you generally shoot for the highest reading on a vacuum gauge.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
I would recommend checking the timing at idle, off idle, and at 2500 rpms with the vacuum advance disconnected and the motor warmed up. Also make sure you have the correct plugs and gap.

gbondo57

Greasemonkey
Aug 30, 2010
Central Okla/USA
Is it fixed? If the only mod is the breather, you have the orig 2 barrel on it?! How many miles? If it is all original, the intake gasket can need either tightening, or replaced. I got the one in mine (267) running pretty tight before I removed it. A popular problem (on a tired engine) can be the base throttle plate being loose fitting to the carb. :roll:

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
THANKS guys, no its not fixed yet i havent driven it in about a month i was away for some good old ARMY training in CA.
and now that im back we are pulling all the chrome and prepping it for some paint right now.. Im not sure how to adjust the 2 adjustment screws on the front of the carb correctly, so i havent done this yet. i will check the intake gasket and carb mount to see if they are good. once again thanks to all for the help

also im not getting my emails when someone replys to my topic, is anyone else having this problem also...

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when you changed the ignition wires are you sure you didn't cross a couple of them up and are the wires separated to make sure your not getting crossfire induction

mysons80elcamino

Apprentice
Mar 27, 2012
its all fixed now. i wasnt sure how to adjust the carb settings so i toke it to a shop

he adjusted the idle, choke, and mixture. now it runs good
dont even have to hit the gas to start it anymore..... thanks for all the help.. now paint...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor