Did I get lucky? TH350 in a 3.8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
I know this has been talked about countless times, but frankly never payed much attention assuming that I had the TH-200 with my 3.8 82' Regal Limited..... I was getting ready to drop the transmission. Checked my Chiltons first to verify pan. I have the 12 Bolt Transmission pan? I stared at the pan and the book for about 10 Minutes thinking "I have to be missing some thing?" "I don't have a th-350?"...... Stamping on the side says MX2 >> Googled and checked a few hits saying it is a TH-350?

I know this has been brought up before, I just want to verify my findings.... 11 Bolt is the TH200 right? 12 bolt TH350?

This cookie cutter S.B.C. ended up on my door step the other day and that would be great if I don't have to do a transmission swap!

item.JPG

Did I get lucky? Or am I sadly mistaken? Thanks....... <Mike>

drogg1

G-Body Guru
Jan 25, 2009
You may also have a weak TH250. These can be identified by a lug near and behind the transmission cooler lines on the passenger side. It looks like around an inch and a half piece of thread with an adjusting nut at the bottom.

th250.png

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
if it is a TH350 the flexplate will work with that engine. I have a th350 and that VERY SAME crate engine in my Cutlass. It is a good little engine! reliable, long lasting and great for budget builders.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I don't think a Buick 3.8 flexplate will work a SBC. Maybe I'm wrong, but I looked up both part #s and they were different. A SBC flexplate isn't all that expensive though.
It's not too surprising that you have a TH350. Considering how many TH200s and TH250s were replaced over the last 30 years it's entirely possible. Does your transmission have the dual pattern case or is it BOP only? You may need an adapter: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tci-230000/overview/

anthonychacon80

Master Mechanic
May 4, 2010
oh sh*t. didnt see he had a 3.8 before. You might need that adapter if its not a dual bell pattern transmission. I think you will need the flex plate, I just got a junkyard one out of a 305 equipped car. brush it with a steel wire brush and spraypaint it good as new!

B1tchin'-Buick

Master Mechanic
Jan 11, 2010
Here is A picture of the stamping if you can make it out(up-side down): MX2

item.JPG

Picture of the pan...

item.JPG

A G.M. website said if it was the TH-250 the stamping would read M31 not MX2....

Still can't believe I got lucky. I don't want to get to happy till I know for certain. But so far the odds look to be in my favor.

Any input?

Thanks <Mike>

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Rockauto has flexplates for under $15. Local stores should be $25-$30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor