Did you name your car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Think "FRED" might already be taken. In some quarters it is actually an acronym that stands for "F**k**g Ridiculous Electronic Device" and gets generically applied to computers and other related binary items that have tendency to glitch or crash at the most inopportune moments. Guy I knew developed the term in response to the girls in our office complaining bitterly about the branch main frame. I thought about it and decided that the girls got to call computers "Fred", then for guys it should be "FREDERICA". Hey, EEO.

Nick

To me you just don't name a car after a guy. And my wife keeps calling it the Flintstones' car.

Although to play of your version of FRED, "F**k**g Rusty something something" could work too.

Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Don't think "Worship", think "Homage". The term possibly applicable here is "Deus ex Machina" God out of Machines" would be a rough translation. Machines became the focus of obsession on the part of many simply because they lacked the knowledge to understand the mechanics so it all sort of trans-morphed into magic and evolved into a cult status.

Back in the old days, (thinking the late 70's here), when motorcycles could be worked on by the average mook, it was not uncommon to notice someone on their hands and knees beside their ride and digging into something that had all-of-a-sudden demanded attention. I took to calling that position, the homage position, because it resembled what people had to do periodically during a church service, that is put themselves down on their knees. With HOGS it was more a case of needing to get up close and personal just to see what was going on or had broke, or had fallen off. (And Please do keep Your Hands Off the Pipes!! PIpe burns hurt and fester.)

Possibly it could be something of a "Cargo Cult" scenario. Stuff being off loaded from planes and trucks arriving from out of nowhere that the locals had never seen happen before. Or the Nomad in the desert who found the empty pop bottle and couldn't figure out how it came to be there.

Whatever the case, it is apparent that all machines require and demand attention. It can be repairs or it can be cleaning or it can be curses and hammer blows. Machines don't come with souls or anima. Anything of that nature that they do seem to possess is something we give to them based on long association.

Gonna kick the philosophy milkcrate back under the bench, Right Now. Not something to rhapodize about on an empty stomach and I have a roast beef sandwich in mind that wants to commit suicide in my stomach.

Nick

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
most of mine are named, kinda got that from my mom...

GP= Chief 💩ting Bull, The Regal never really got named (usually refer to it aas Beagle, but never really stuck), The wagon was known as Gypsy wagon, the cutlass never really got named....then there's the elky I just picked up, I haven't had it long enough to learn it's personality yet... right now I'm just calling it "basket case"...

our dailies are all named...
F-150= Babe the big blue ox
caddy= cinderblock v2.0
wife's mustang= ponytalez
our jeep patriot project= Pandora
mini project= mini me

Reactions: 3 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
most of mine are named, kinda got that from my mom...

GP= Chief 💩ting Bull, The Regal never really got named (usually refer to it aas Beagle, but never really stuck), The wagon was known as Gypsy wagon, the cutlass never really got named....then there's the elky I just picked up, I haven't had it long enough to learn it's personality yet... right now I'm just calling it "basket case"...

our dailies are all named...
F-150= Babe the big blue ox
caddy= cinderblock v2.0
wife's mustang= ponytalez
our jeep patriot project= Pandora
mini project= mini me
Belated chime in here...

80 GMC 3/4 Ton was Blue Ox just like your F150
78 Thunderbird was Thunder Monkey, named by Army Captain I was working with.
77 Grand Marquis was Grey Ghost.
86 Cutlass was named Gutless by friend.
81Trans Am got known as Piece of Junk.

• Clever
Reactions: 3 users

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
A long standing joke from car friends way back when, being the only Olds guy in a gaggle of Chevys!

IMG_3256.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 5 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Belated chime in here...

80 GMC 3/4 Ton was Blue Ox just like your F150
78 Thunderbird was Thunder Monkey, named by Army Captain I was working with.
77 Grand Marquis was Grey Ghost.
86 Cutlass was named Gutless by friend.
81Trans Am got known as Piece of Junk.
Had Gutlass on my 69’ Cutlass S. Think I still have the tag/plate😁

Reactions: 2 users

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
Wasn't it Meatloaf wrote that song With lyrics... Footprints on the dash upside down... Heaven by the dash board lights... Or maybe I'm not thinking right path?

Creamsicle sounds like kind of messy

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
"I can see paradise by the dashboard lights" Heard that song and Immediately HATED IT!!!! "What's it gonna be boy? Yes, or No??" Think the term is now called sexual blackmail. Thing is, having two heads to think with doesn't exactly make the average male twice as smart, particularly when the little head starts insisting on doing the thinking. Best theoretical rewrite for that song that never got included would have been "My way or the Highway, B****," with the in the background sound effect of a car door slamming; again, and again, and again. Great opportunity for some special effects reverb. Even the word itself is allowable as it is not on the George Carlin list of seven little words that can't get spoken on public media.

Best thing that ever happened to MeatLoaf was his character in the Rocky Horror Picture show getting offed. Seem to recall that he was a recent passe from the land of the living; (Read RIP)

Shouldn't speak ill of the dead but his music made me sick when he was alive so..............................

Nick

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor