Did you name your car ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
3 different shops. Completely stripped. It's in the third shop now and it's been there for 7 months.
Why does this happen ?
Honest question .
As a carpenter, I can’t imagine taking on a renovation then letting it sit while I crack open someone else’s house .

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
So my El Camino, back in high school my girlfriend named it Sunshine because it was bright yellow. Although, now that its in the shop on a several year long restoration and will come out black I need to come up with a new name, and it hit me today. I'll make a play on words and call her Elky May. Of course it might change several times before its done...
Rob zombie will kick your *ss if you call it black sunshine lol
“True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night
…this is black sunshine
…blasting down the highway like a slug from a 45 ..”

• Creative
Reactions: 1 users

random_farmhick

Apprentice
Dec 13, 2020
Rob zombie will kick your *ss if you call it black sunshine lol
“True death: 400 horsepower of maximum performance piercing the night
…this is black sunshine
…blasting down the highway like a slug from a 45 ..”
I have no idea what you are talking about because I've never really listened to Rob Zombie because i don't like that kind of music, but black sunshine does work, haha

Reactions: 2 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
Why does this happen ?
Honest question .
As a carpenter, I can’t imagine taking on a renovation then letting it sit while I crack open someone else’s house .

My guess?

Cash flow. Quick cave and pave and spray and it's out the door in a couple days and you're getting paid. Next!

A restoration job that take hundreds or thousands of hours and going to tie up your guys from doing everything else. Gonna take you forever to get paid.

Or

It's a very reputable restoration shop and there is just that much demand for their services and they have 2 dozen customers in line ahead of your job. And then along comes some deep pocketed collector who willing to pay an extra 50-100% premium to jump the queue because he's got a a few minor scratches and wants the panel resprayed. car show season is coming up. And this guy is probably also a repeat customer that the shop has made thousands off of in the past.

Then it's all compounded with the lack of skilled trades. Pretty sure a good body guy or painter is getting hard to come by. You probably see it with carpenters too. Huge demand because we've been telling kids for 50 years that working in the trades sucks and you ain't sh*t unless you go to college.

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

Hurricane77

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
No yet, but I'm thinking maybe Wilma....

1649683457779.png

Can't bring myself to call it Fred

• Optimistic
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Kamloops cutlass

Master Mechanic
Jan 27, 2021
Kamloops bc
My guess?

Cash flow. Quick cave and pave and spray and it's out the door in a couple days and you're getting paid. Next!

A restoration job that take hundreds or thousands of hours and going to tie up your guys from doing everything else. Gonna take you forever to get paid.

Or

It's a very reputable restoration shop and there is just that much demand for their services and they have 2 dozen customers in line ahead of your job. And then along comes some deep pocketed collector who willing to pay an extra 50-100% premium to jump the queue because he's got a a few minor scratches and wants the panel resprayed. car show season is coming up. And this guy is probably also a repeat customer that the shop has made thousands off of in the past.

Then it's all compounded with the lack of skilled trades. Pretty sure a good body guy or painter is getting hard to come by. You probably see it with carpenters too. Huge demand because we've been telling kids for 50 years that working in the trades sucks and you ain't sh*t unless you go to college.
Yes I do see an increases demand
I tell people a projected start time, if they want to wait good , if not they can talk to the next outfit
I don’t Let even let repeat customers jump the queue , if it’s that important or lucrative I might try to do it on a weekend
Then again nobody has offered me double yet🔨 😎💲lol
As far as cash flow in the shop , I gave my body shop about 30% up front to pay for supplies etc .
Made sense to me , I ask customers to pay for materials before 30days if I’m carrying the tab on a longer job
And take a percentage at given “landmarks” in the project ie: 50% after completion of drywall and paint or something similar
Don’t see why all body shops couldn’t run on that model

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Think "FRED" might already be taken. In some quarters it is actually an acronym that stands for "F**k**g Ridiculous Electronic Device" and gets generically applied to computers and other related binary items that have tendency to glitch or crash at the most inopportune moments. Guy I knew developed the term in response to the girls in our office complaining bitterly about the branch main frame. I thought about it and decided that the girls got to call computers "Fred", then for guys it should be "FREDERICA". Hey, EEO.

Nick

gbodytoys

Master Mechanic
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
A frustrating time for sure.

Not to bring religious stuff in here, but sometimes I feel like that when I worship something, and these cars have surely been that...I lose them. I just don't have any "good luck" with stuff that I make such a dominant thing in my life.

That aside, bad business. Lies. I've already sued the first shop, he never paid. $4k. I pushed it to the side for now, but the judgement is forever and I think that he thinks that I forgot. That shop is still in operation and I will move to the next steps soon enough. The second shop, same thing, lies, bad business. Frustration isn't the word...I've had to stop myself from ending up in prison.

• Angry

gbodytoys

Master Mechanic
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Yes I do see an increases demand
I tell people a projected start time, if they want to wait good , if not they can talk to the next outfit
I don’t Let even let repeat customers jump the queue , if it’s that important or lucrative I might try to do it on a weekend
Then again nobody has offered me double yet🔨 😎💲lol
As far as cash flow in the shop , I gave my body shop about 30% up front to pay for supplies etc .
Made sense to me , I ask customers to pay for materials before 30days if I’m carrying the tab on a longer job
And take a percentage at given “landmarks” in the project ie: 50% after completion of drywall and paint or something similar
Don’t see why all body shops couldn’t run on that model

The first shop, I paid over $1k up front and gave them money at certain intervals. They BS'd some "work" just to act like they did something.

• Dislike
  • Sad
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor