Dirty Jersey bourbon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
So Sunday.. I I'd had a charging problem Saturday night but it seems to have healed itself because I didn't fix it and it's working now. I went back to the building Sunday after digging threw my garage for stereo components and did the front brakes I was going to do more but it was cold and no one else showed up there. I figured they had a better idea than me and I went home. It's still charging so I'm figuring it has a loose connection or bad ground somewhere. Hell Yes I bought a speaker it was cheap and part of the big picture bandpass 12s for $40

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Yours is also a 6.2 in a different body style. I was pointing out the fact that not every diesel 1500 produced by GM came with a light duty trans.
I should have pointed out I meant the generation before the GMT 400. Basically where I really last liked GM trucks. This last gen is nice, love the Gen 5 motor and 8 SPD, I just refuse to pay 70 grand for one or 50 for a nice used one. I have seen many 88 to 95 donor trucks to convert to an Olds 350, one even had the heavy duty front axle conversion but the 4L60E is the hesitation and brings me back to reality, I want a reliable towing truck and hate the Gen 3/4 LS power band and any diesels are clapped out and or they want stupid money for. Clutch if you get the title, get the ATF leak fixed ASAP. Good way to kill a marginal trans is run it low on fluid, towing.

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I should have pointed out I meant the generation before the GMT 400. Basically where I really last liked GM trucks. This last gen is nice, love the Gen 5 motor and 8 SPD, I just refuse to pay 70 grand for one or 50 for a nice used one. I have seen many 88 to 95 donor trucks to convert to an Olds 350, one even had the heavy duty front axle conversion but the 4L60E is the hesitation and brings me back to reality, I want a reliable towing truck and hate the Gen 3/4 LS power band and any diesels are clapped out and or they want stupid money for. Clutch if you get the title, get the ATF leak fixed ASAP. Good way to kill a marginal trans is run it low on fluid, towing.

I'm with ya. To me, the gmt400 has just enough refinement to be a decent DD. My 1500 has a 9.5" rear end and a 4L80 swap. I have a 9.5 front diff awaiting swap as well. I also have a 97 454/4L80 crew cab dually. Clean square bodies are tough to come across, but we always had one when I was growing up. I'd love to have one even if it just sat in the corner.

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
It's turning into a long week! Tuesday at lunchtime the left lower ball joint broke in the middle of rt9 so that was fun waiting for the wrecker at 1:00 in the afternoon then of course no one at the shop had a ball joint press. So I had to wait until Eric got home from work and take the wife's Subaru to borrow his and that's after I got a ride home and waited for Janet to get home. Needless to say I didn't get in until after 10:30. Without a car I had to hitch a ride with Ron to work. By the time I got in it was to late to do it before work. Lunch time the shop helper offered to pick up tacos for me, I gave him $10 bucks punched out grabbed some tools and did the ball joint in the parking lot. Thankfully it had warmed up to 36° by lunchtime. I'm really thankful the ball joint didn't brake when I was hooking the jug handle off the parkway onto RT70 at 65 on the way to work in the morning.
While I was there I looked over the rest of the parts on that side. The upper control arm bushings are waisted and the upper ball joint is original but tight. I guess I need to get under there and really look things over.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Wow it's Monday night already!? I made it out to the building Sunday after repairing the roof on my house temporarily of course. By the time I got underway I had to scrap some of my plans but I did manage to check all the fluids, even out the tire pressure, and diagnose the front end. It seems my cooler line repair solved most of the trans leakage because it was only down a pint this time 2 quarts of motor oil though. As for the front end I'd like to rebuild it but again I don't have a title yet so that being said the worst parts are.the idler arm, upper control arm bushings on the left side and left upper ball joint. Last night I did my homework and found the cheapest parts yen can buy. On there way are a new loaded left upper control arm for $57 and an idler arm for $25 I also had my brother go pickup a used brake controller I found on letgo around the corner from his house but it may end up in the crew cab. I actually got to use this thing as the family truckster it was intended as. Picked up Lauren 3 of her friends and a bicycle at the park yesterday afternoon. Worked quit well and the kids seamed to like it

Reactions: 4 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Yesterday was a good day for the suburban. I replaced the left upper control arm and the idler arm. Driving home it was like a different vehicle. It still needs an alignment but I ran it up to Oldbridge and back today. It ran 65 no problem but I think I lost a wheel weight off one of the front wheels because I had one hell of a vibration on the way home. I've got to work on a Porsche this afternoon to pay a debit but for very good reason.

Reactions: 3 users

Clutch

Geezer
Apr 7, 2017
Brick NJ
Looks like this truck is getting jealous of my plans. Or she's a needy b... You get the idea. This morning the glow plugs wouldn't cycle on so it won't start. I couldn't finde any starting fluid so I tried some brake clean... Bad idea! Omg I thought it was running away then I thought it was going to explode! I'll never do that again. Well maybe I will never know in a pinch. So tomorrow before I can go do what I want to I need to learn about glow plugs and find the problem. The light on the dash isn't coming on or anything. I'm hoping it's a fuse.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor