do I paint my 1980 Olds 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
I agree 100% with Injected. Not sure to what extent the problem is but one would hope it can be dealt with without molesting that beautiful original paint. Be careful who you choose to handle that car for you.

As above, just my .02

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I'm going to have to go with Scott here too on this one.
Judging from the pictures, it presents very very well, with no obvious signs of rusting, chips/scratches/peeling etc, so I would leave it alone.

If the condition of the paint is just a bit faded or oxidized, I would buff it up with a quality rubbing compound on a polisher and protect it with a good coat of wax. If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, any detailing shop can do it for you.

Of course, if you don't like the color combo and want to change it, that's a whole different story. As mentioned, these years of 442's are getting scarce, and I wouldn't advise changing the color on one. Instead, I would look for a same year Cutlass that's essentially not worth as much, and paint that instead.

Of course, if you went that route, I would happily take the 442 off your hands for you!
:D

Reactions: 1 user

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
more pictures of my new car hope this is okay

Attachments

• 1459 interior.jpg
    1459 interior.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 229
Reactions: 1 users

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
front
I agree 100% with Injected. Not sure to what extent the problem is but one would hope it can be dealt with without molesting that beautiful original paint. Be careful who you choose to handle that car for you.

As above, just my .02
there is no problem just wondering do do a repaint or just enjoy it the factory paint is not the best quality but thank you for your input much appreciated Jeff

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
I'm going to have to go with Scott here too on this one.
Judging from the pictures, it presents very very well, with no obvious signs of rusting, chips/scratches/peeling etc, so I would leave it alone.

If the condition of the paint is just a bit faded or oxidized, I would buff it up with a quality rubbing compound on a polisher and protect it with a good coat of wax. If you're not comfortable with doing it yourself, any detailing shop can do it for you.

Of course, if you don't like the color combo and want to change it, that's a whole different story. As mentioned, these years of 442's are getting scarce, and I wouldn't advise changing the color on one. Instead, I would look for a same year Cutlass that's essentially not worth as much, and paint that instead.

Of course, if you went that route, I would happily take the 442 off your hands for you!
:D
thanks would not change the paint scheme just wondering if I get a better quality paint job plan on keeping this car for a long time appreciate your response thanks and have a great day Jeff

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
Love it! Great car Jeff, hope you get many years of enjoyment out of it!

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada

As above, just my .02
thanks for the input there really is no issues just wanting to bring it back to show room condition you have a great day Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor