do I paint my 1980 Olds 442

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Just put a cam and intake and non computer carb (if you have one already) and keep the old stuff. That'll wake that 180hp motor up. The whole point of the resellability of these cars is keeping the original drivetrain. A chevy needs different motor mounts, wires, and transmission unless you get an adapter.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Jeff leave the original 350, I know it is the weakest Olds 350 built but is still unique. A sbc crate motor will not like the factory 2.73 gears. I would go with a mild cam as said, something better than the Edelbrock Performer cam. A cam like the smallest Voodoo or 10420211 High efficiency cam from Lunati would work well. Your motor is only 8.5 to remember. I would buy a good quality double roller timing set like a Cloyes to replace the factory nylon coated gears.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Why not put a little peppier gear in it like 3.08 or 3.23?

Jeff Blagden

Master Mechanic
Aug 12, 2016
Winnipeg Manitoba Canada
just remember that there is differences between the olds 350, and chevy 350's, and a sbc isn't a plug-and-play upgrade.

beautiful car, and my vote would be like the majority: it's only original once, and as one of the guys said, it may not turn out as nice as the original finish.... glad you're not wanting to hack it up!
thanks have not really looked into engine options that much thanks for the input will look a lot closer at my options but it won't be for a year or two and honestly the replies I get on this forum I am leaning to leave it as is but thanks to everyone for the replies it is a great place to ask questions and have a good day chef Jeff

_Tom

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 17, 2016
Toronto
Jeff, Nice car!
I wouldn't touch it. Just keep it clean and enjoy it.

I always heard that the '80 W-30s came with the gold 4-4-2 key... do you have yours?

Cheers,
Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor