Does a 99 Denali come with 096 Vortec heads?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Block may be a no go depending on your intended use.

Many did not come with a mechanical fuel pump but not all. I would say a 99 probably didnt

To clarify, yes they were all fuel injected, but some had the hole for the push rod and tapped mounting holes in the block with a cover, most had the feature there but it was never finish machined to be able to mount or run the pump

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
To clarify, yes they were all fuel injected, but some had the hole for the push rod and tapped mounting holes in the block with a cover, most had the feature there but it was never finish machined to be able to mount or run the pump
If the front end is nice, that was a custom sheetmetal swap to a pickup. Probably get $400.00 just for the front clip .

RegalChris1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2019
Long Island New York
Block may be a no go depending on your intended use.

Many did not come with a mechanical fuel pump but not all. I would say a 99 probably didnt

I just want the heads off the motor nothing else I’ll part with the rest and maybe keep the front differential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Sounds like win-win situation to me. Part out the Denali and get a free set of Vortec heads,,,and then some.

Wasn't there also a difference between the 906 having some additional shrouding around the intake valves compared to the 062 heads? Something in that realm.

Last edited:

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Sounds like win-win situation to me. Part out the Denali and get a free set of Vortec heads,,,and then some.

Wasn't there also a difference between the 906 having some additional shrouding around the intake valves compared to the 062 heads? Something in that realm.

I had read that a magazine had erroneously reported the hardened seat vs non hardened seat thing early on and it kinda stuck even after a correction. Not that it matters.

Not sure what the 602 circle track crates come with casting # wise but they make decent power for what they are. GMPP came out with both a smaller runner version and larger runner version of the vortecs maybe 3-4 years ago. If they would come out with that in aluminum they might be on to something

RegalChris1986

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 16, 2019
Long Island New York

Yes I heard about this

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I had read that a magazine had erroneously reported the hardened seat vs non hardened seat thing early on and it kinda stuck even after a correction. Not that it matters.

Not sure what the 602 circle track crates come with casting # wise but they make decent power for what they are. GMPP came out with both a smaller runner version and larger runner version of the vortecs maybe 3-4 years ago. If they would come out with that in aluminum they might be on to something
If I'm not mistaken, one of the aftermarket companies...maybe Edelbrock makes an aluminum version of the Vortec head. I wouldn't mind a set.

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yes I heard about this

I would still use either the 062 or the 906 providing that they weren't cracked, of course.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario

the 602 crate comes with the 062 vortec head,nothing special done to it We ran that engine in our super stocks, . The 604 crate has the aluminum fast burn head with angled spark plugs, we used the 604 is our sportsman and pro late model circle track cars

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor