Status
Not open for further replies.

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I like them. At least for where I live.

I think a lot of whether you like them or not largely depends on where you live and what your weather is like. Would I like them if I lived in the blisteringly hot climate of Arizona or Nevada? Not likely, I’d be an a/c fan, 100%.
Likewise if I lived in a very humid or rainy area, probably not the best option.

However with the relatively dry and benign summers we have around here, they’re just fine. Because it’s neither extremely hot or humid here, I seldom use the air conditioning. I’m definitely more of a fresh air kinda guy. I don’t like the reduced fuel economy or power consumption from the a/c when it’s on, I can always tell the difference no matter the vehicle I’m driving.

So, the options become cracking the windows, or rolling them all the way down. I don’t know about you all, but I find the physical shape of the newer vehicles does not lend itself well to having windows open, especially at any kind of speed. You always seem to get beat to death by the wind. My ‘02 Lincoln LS is brutal for this, so is my ‘14 F150.
Anyone remember the days of being able to cruise around with all the windows down in the older cars and barely notice a difference?

Having a sun or moonroof that you can open then becomes a very attractive alternative. Fresh air and sunlight, without being pummeled by the wind.

So yeah, I guess I like them. To each their own.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I bought the sunroof option on our 2010 Camaro because I wanted all available options on it and they had no convertible option until 2013. And we use it when we use the car. Which needs to be more often. It's got close to 13K miles on it and we've had it since October 09, making it what, 8 1/2 years already. I try to drop the top on the 2013 ZL1 'vert every chance I get. Have a wind screen in it now that helps immensely with the turbulence at speeds. The wife's 16 CTS automatically comes with the power sunroof and power sunshade. She doesn't use it very often but I sure do. As stated, keep the tubes blown out and clear and lube the seals and you'll be miles ahead.

I threw in some baby pictures because I'm shameless that way.

2010 Camaro SS delivery 1.jpg

2010 Camaro SS delivery 2.jpg

50ba1e80d39f40c3a1b3e9a9bcee2a93!20130417130405000.jpg

Drive Home ZL1.jpg

13507456149x650.jpg

13507456203x650.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
The dogs really like standing on the Grand Cherokee console and hanging their heads out the sunroof. Keeps the drool off the side of the car, nobody sees it up on the roof!

Good point, I forgot to add in my reply. Our dogs, especially one, also likes to stand on the console and stick her head out at slower speeds. Makes it worth having for that alone. She’s done it on all 3 cars that have/had it.

Not much downside to them IMO and they seem to be in so many vehicles now it’s almost standard. If you don’t like them, keep it closed and you’ll never really notice the difference.

I don’t find it feminine at all, convertibles seem more girly to me, but still cool on some cars.

Carmine116

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 22, 2019
Always use mine. One of the first options I look for when buying a car or truck.Looking at a 79 Grand Prix with a factory sunroof and 4 speed this week.

Reactions: 1 user

Gusszgs

Apprentice
Oct 2, 2018
ON - Ontario
I own an ‘87 Buick Turbo T Limited with a FACTORY CF5 moonroof and absolutely love it. Maybe I’m kooky but it works perfectly and zero issues.
In warm summer late night cruises its wonderful.
Love cruising on a starlight night with it open.
Very hot summer days I close and it seems to have dark enough tint to be comfortable. If too hot, then I just put the factory visor closed.
Increases the value of Ltd as well, cause only 1035 made and not all got the CF5 option.

Attachments

• 5C80924D-B98D-404A-980F-BC07D1D23A55.jpeg
    5C80924D-B98D-404A-980F-BC07D1D23A55.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 110

87monteSSMN

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
I open the sunroof every time I drove the car with the cars I had that had sunroofs., weather permitting. I also smoke, so it wafts up and can still have my tinted windows closed.

spidereyes455

G-Body Guru
Mar 6, 2013
Northeastern PA
My wife's 07 Pontiac G5 has one and its always open in the spring thru fall as long as its not raining . It could be 98 degrees outside and she'd rather have the windows down and the roof open than use the a/c. My 442 has t-tops and if shes in the car it's almost mandatory for the tops to be out, sometimes I think it's the only reason she likes the car. To be fair I take the tops out myself every chance I get too. I also used to have an 88 Tbird that had the factory sunroof and I used to open that whenever it was nice out as well.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Only thing I've ever used them for is cracking them open with the vent function to keep the interior a little cooler on hot days. That's about it. They're usually bundled together with the "premium" packages which include other desirable options. In the three cars I've owned with them, can't say I used any of them on a regular basis.

I'm with you. I just like to vent the cabin.

On a warm summer evening I'll open it all the way if I have one.

• Agree

Kennybill

Master Mechanic
Mar 17, 2010
Braceville, Ohio
In 2010 I bought a new Jeep with a sun roof. First sun roof I ever had. I've opened it maybe 5 times. I'll never get another. Btw, I'm a convertible guy. I bought my first convertible in 1968. A 1963 Impala (not SS) 409 (340 HP Lo-comp) 4-speed 4:11 posi. Triple black bench seat. That's the convertible that hooked me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor