Doesn’t start unless I prime with gas/starting fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bitterman

Greasemonkey
Jan 17, 2017
I'll state what others have said already, accelerator pump is out or very weak. No spray from jets and booging down on acceleration... it just screams accelerator pump to me.

Reactions: 5 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Can you tell me how it goes just to be sure?

One end has a cap and a spring goes behind that, the inlet side has a valve that is held in place by a small spring. The full pressure will open the valve to let fuel enter the carb. When you shut the engine off the valve closes and prevents the fuel from back flowing out of the carb

• Informative
Reactions: 1 users

1320John$$$

G-Body Guru
Sep 18, 2019
Pennsylvania
On a 2GC carburetor it has a return spring under the Excelerator pump I bet somebody forgot to put it back in during the rebuild just a thought I never tried it without the spring is there for a reason

Reactions: 1 users

smartin3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2020
Michigan
I have a 78 Malibu with a 305 all original. It has the stock Rochester 2 barrel carb. Every morning I try to start it. I have to put gas or starting fluid in the carb to get it started. After it starts the car is fine. When I go somewhere, turn off the car and turn it back on it’s fine. It’s only when it’ss cold start. It also bogs down when I step on the gas. The carb was rebuilt also. I’ve put 91 fuel and Berryman fuel injector cleaner as well. Any suggestions or tips?
I had a similar issue with my 85 MC SS but I have the Quadrajet. Sent it in for a rebuild now it starts on the first try and runs much better. I also replaced the vacuum lines. Here are the before and after pictures. It was like new after the rebuild. If you’re interested I can send you the shop’s info, but I’ll have to dig it up. Takes about 2 week to turn around. If I recall, it was $325 plus shipping. The 2 barrel might be cheaper.

Attachments

• 32D66F75-868A-48BC-94B8-1D451BECC221.jpeg
    32D66F75-868A-48BC-94B8-1D451BECC221.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 147
  • 7DADCB2C-FC67-4C96-9753-DB7A0C9E7EF1.jpeg
    7DADCB2C-FC67-4C96-9753-DB7A0C9E7EF1.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 151
Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had a similar issue with my 85 MC SS but I have the Quadrajet. Sent it in for a rebuild now it starts on the first try and runs much better. I also replaced the vacuum lines. Here are the before and after pictures. It was like new after the rebuild. If you’re interested I can send you the shop’s info, but I’ll have to dig it up. Takes about 2 week to turn around. If I recall, it was $325 plus shipping. The 2 barrel might be cheaper.

that is a nice looking carb, looks like new and that is a good price..... :)

Reactions: 1 user

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
There’s someone buy me that does it for $150 and a 24 hour turnaround. I might just buy a new 4 barrel carb instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor