Doesn’t start unless I prime with gas/starting fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
How hard is it to change the accelerator pump on a 2 barrel carb? Would it just be better to get a new 4 barrel? Should I get an intake for a 4 barrel or would it be fine with an adapter to go from 2 to 4?

If your not willing to get into your carb please don't try to go to 4 barrel and no to an adaptor. You have fuel to your filter but what about pressure and pressure to the carb? As I said earlier I question your re-built carb and or the settings.

Reactions: 1 users

smartin3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2020
Michigan
How hard is it to change the accelerator pump on a 2 barrel carb? Would it just be better to get a new 4 barrel? Should I get an intake for a 4 barrel or would it be fine with an adapter to go from 2 to 4?
Call Phil over at Custom Rebuild Carbs. Here’s the website:

They’ll completely rebuild the carb and replace all of the bolt-on parts.

I look at it this way, my time is worth “something”. Would I rather struggle doing a job I have no clue how to do and have no interest in learning or pay an expert and have peace of mind? You may look at it differently, but that’s my take on it.

I enjoy working on my Monte, but when something is out of my wheelhouse I leave it to the pros.

Reactions: 2 users

Call Her Bu

Greasemonkey
Dec 2, 2012
Arlington, TX
Call Phil over at Custom Rebuild Carbs. Here’s the website:

They’ll completely rebuild the carb and replace all of the bolt-on parts.

I look at it this way, my time is worth “something”. Would I rather struggle doing a job I have no clue how to do and have no interest in learning or pay an expert and have peace of mind? You may look at it differently, but that’s my take on it.

I enjoy working on my Monte, but when something is out of my wheelhouse I leave it to the pros.
Well my plan is to go LS when this motor gives out so I don’t want to dump a lot of money into it because then I’ll have to need for the carb or intake if I buy new ones. So I might just get the carb rebuilt.

jdperk

n00b
Aug 3, 2020
I have a 78 Malibu with a 305 all original. It has the stock Rochester 2 barrel carb. Every morning I try to start it. I have to put gas or starting fluid in the carb to get it started. After it starts the car is fine. When I go somewhere, turn off the car and turn it back on it’s fine. It’s only when it’ss cold start. It also bogs down when I step on the gas. The carb was rebuilt also. I’ve put 91 fuel and Berryman fuel injector cleaner as well. Any suggestions or tips?

If the motor is all original then it could be a few problems.
1. The lead seals in the carb fuel bowl could be leaking when it sits overnight. This is a common problem with Rochester carbs. If it is leaking then all that fuel sitting in the intake may make it hard to start.
2. Rebuilt carbs need to be tuned, idle screws for idle, and if I remember correctly linkage for the accelerator pump. It could be injecting too much fuel.
3. You could have a vacuum leak under the carb or one of the carb gaskets. That would cause hesitation.
4. In my '86 Elco with the original 305 and 369k miles, the valve guides were worn and at night the oil from the heads would leak into the cylinders making it hard to start. Once I got it started and all that oil burnt out it would run and restart fine for the rest of the day. No carb rebuild will fix a worn out motor. I just replaced the motor and trans with an LSI/4L60E.

Reactions: 1 user

Neill

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 7, 2014
Roanoke ,VA.
An option is to lose the in carb fuel filter and substitute an in line filter. Bigger filter and the do come in clear PVC so keeping track of dirt and crud in the filter is easy to do. Simple to install. Still would not discount the pump as a possible culprit. They can work fine at idle but as soon as demand goes up they fall behind and the motor starves.
I have never heard of a clear p.c.v. hose that can hold up under ethanol.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Well my plan is to go LS when this motor gives out so I don’t want to dump a lot of money into it because then I’ll have to need for the carb or intake if I buy new ones. So I might just get the carb rebuilt.

if you start a thread with that headline there is a bunch of us who have experience to help with shortening the life of the motor and your problem can be over within hours.... :popcorn:

• Winner
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users

MalibuDavyou5

Master Mechanic
Mar 2, 2020
Wyoming
My experience with this 229 V6 was very much the same as yours, took allot to get it where it starts right up, even after sitting for weeks. 305 Fuel pumps shouldn't be that hard to replace, I would also suggest rebuilding the carb or buy new/used. Problem I had with mine was the Fuel Pump, Pump to Carb line needed to be fabricated and a total carb rebuild along with the Choke replaced. This solved all problems. . . As far as the engine lasting so long, not too long ago the Bearings decided to give on me, this was sooner than expected, I mean I figured as old as the car is the engine would give out, I wasn't counting on it being this soon. I can't afford the LS like you plan to, but I am going stock SBC 350.

Max Headroom

Master Mechanic
Sep 8, 2011
I had a carb on a G-Body that had a filter at the carb fuel inlet. Fought that b*tch for weeks before someone told me to check for a filter at the carb. It was built into the body of t he carb.

Reactions: 1 user

fleming442

Captain Tenneal
Dec 26, 2013
if you start a thread with that headline there is a bunch of us who have experience to help with shortening the life of the motor and your problem can be over within hours.... :popcorn:
Donuts with a low oil level are a good one...

• Haha
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor