Drop in Aluminum Radiator Under $300?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
I have a big Griffen in my Monte but for my Regal project I installed a Champion radiator, I had no fitment issues for the shroud or with the condenser but I did have to buy larger upper and lower hoses to match the inlet and outlet sizes.

View attachment 101743
Got the part # for your rad?

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
Lots of the AL radiator designs from diffent labels, look the same to me as far as external design. Wonder what is different between the different labels?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
General consensus is a 2 row with larger tubes is better than a 3 row with slightly smaller tubes... Yes?

• Agree

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
We replaced a Griffin with a Champion in my brother's 78 Z28. The Griffin had about 4,000 pampered miles on it and started leaking. The Champion is lifetime warranty. The two row G body unit is rated for 525 HP so I think it should suit your needs fine. Down here running A/C in the summer, I would probably go with the three row which is rated for 750 HP.

Oh, the Champion radiator fit my brother's car much better than the Griffin. It sat right in the saddles without modification. With the Griffin, we had to carve out the saddles to get the tanks to sit in them. I don't like that the Champion is made overseas but I do like that they stand behind their product. Also, if you want to pay more, they will make you one here.

Reactions: 2 users

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
I put a Champion American Eagle # AE162 in my Elk couldn't be happier $188.55 on Amazon free ship . Fit perfect !

84calelky

Apprentice
Nov 20, 2018
yes on 2 row large tubes better than 3 row small tubes . I live in the California Desert summer temps 105+

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
That guy has some strong opinions. I came across his site years ago when I was shopping for a radiator for my GP. I'm not smart enough to debate all his claims. I was real proud of my brother's expensive USA aluminum radiator until it failed. At least Champion stands behind their product. I would think a third row would increase capacity and cooling. According to their site, the Champion 2 row has 0.75" tubes. The 3 row has 0.63" tubes. Those ECP radiators look nice and he stands behind them. He lists one for a MC but only with electric fans. If you called, I suspect he would sell just the radiator.

The Champion we bought for my brother's car is a 3 row, but its a dual pass since the inlet and outlet are both on the passenger side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor