Dual exhaust with long tubes???

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Who is running dual exhaust with the stock crossmember?

How did you notch the crossmember?

any pictures?

grandprix2+2

Apprentice
Jun 13, 2007
I'm running the stock crossmember with the notch in it. I had planned on cutting the notch out with an air cutting tool and welding a piece back in, but a good friend of mine (with lots of tools) insisted it was easier than that. I took it to his garage and he showed off how well his plasma cutter works. I just crawled under the car and made a few measurements off the single exhaust for reference and marked approximately where the exhaust would run, and he just made the notch a little long to be safe. Welded in a new piece of metal and he was done in probably 15 mins. Now if you're skills are closer to mine with metal forming I'd say it would take a little over an hour, but its really not complicated. Just try to remove as little metal as possible to maintain structure. Mine's been done for two years with no issues. Hope this helps
IMG_0204.jpg

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
I used a 3"x4" section of square tubing with the bottom cut. A lot of measuring/trimming to make sure the mounting points of the crossmember were correct. Took it to a welding shop and had them do it, the section welded in is probably stronger than the crossmember itself, I'll be using it on the '78 as well.
DSC02351.jpg

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
hp3445 said:
That looks really nice, but I would have done both sides to make it look even better..
The other side already has a hump in it :|

Anybody have issues getting there car into park with a column shifter and long tube headers?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Well I dropped the Regal off at Muffler Masters in Kannapolis, NC to get the exhaust done about an hour ago :D I can't wait to be driving around with a quieter car again (those open headers get annoying real quick)

Getting the crossmember notched, 3" collector is getting reduced to 2 1/2", going back to an X-pipe and then it will be flowing thru the typical Flowmaster 40 series with turndowns right before the axle 8) (not a big Flowmaster fan, but I am getting them really cheap and I have king of a tight cash flow right now)

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
He ended using the THRUSH mufflers, it sounds great :!:

As soon as we get a decent day I will wash this thing up as good I can and get some good pictures of everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor