Dumb timing question

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Hey guys, quick dumb question. I need to set the timing on my hei carb equipped malibu..i dont have a helper and I have read the advance lights can be inaccurate. I have timing tape / timing marks that i will be using.

Question is: to set my desired rpm, is there any reason why i cant use my idle screw? Meaning, to hold my rpm’s at say, 3000, can i do that using the idle screw instead of enlisting a helper to sit on the gas pedal. I think this would be more accurate but want to make sure i would not be working backwards

Last edited:

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Timing tape is not necessary with an advance light. Not sure why you don't trust an advance light? Is it from ebay or craigslist?

The idle speed is finalized with the idle set screw on the throttle linkage. Ignition timing and idle mixture screws will effect idle speed.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Timing tape is not necessary with an advance light. Not sure why you don't trust an advance light? Is it from ebay or craigslist?

The idle speed is finalized with the idle set screw on the throttle linkage. Ignition timing and idle mixture screws will effect idle speed.
Thanks for the reply. I have read numerous places that the advance timing lights are notoriously inaccurate. What i have is a conventional light with no advance, and would like to set rpm at, say, 3000 (which i will have to do anyway). My question is can I just run the idle screw in to hold my desired rpm. The idle gets adjusted after timing is set anyway,
So i don’t see why not. I am trying to avoid asking the wife for help, would be 1000x easier if i can just trig the rpm where i want it, short of using a stick on the gas pedal.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
The idle screw will most likely not open throttle blade enough for 3000rpm.
Why so high? Total timing?

All I've ever used was dial back lights. You make your balancer mark at zero and line up the mark to zero. With a conventional light you are hoping a sticker will stick to a harmonic balancer which will probably be peeling, oily or the wrong diameter for your tape. Without tape most will only read to 10 or so deg.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
The idle screw will most likely not open throttle blade enough for 3000rpm.
Why so high? Total timing?

All I've ever used was dial back lights. You make your balancer mark at zero and line up the mark to zero. With a conventional light you are hoping a sticker will stick to a harmonic balancer which will probably be peeling, oily or the wrong diameter for your tape. Without tape most will only read to 10 or so deg.
Yes total timing. I want to see where I am all in. So i will probably go even higher than 3k to verify. Even with a dial back light you will still need to hold whatever rpm you want to be all in at. I know tape will fly off, going to mark the damper myself. Just looking for ideas to hold throttle open without enlisting the help of others. Stick is sounding pretty good right about now.

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
What you can do is graph the results on paper. 3000 rpm does not guarantee the weights are all the way out.
Note the advance at 500 rpm increments. When the graph stops climbing, it's out.

I understand it seems like alot but I've done this plenty of times with a dial back light with one hand on the throttle and the other aiming the light.

Reactions: 1 user

BudsJLM

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Nov 30, 2009
I understand it seems like alot but I've done this plenty of times with a dial back light with one hand on the throttle and the other aiming the light.
Did this a lot this past weekend while at the track trying different timing to see what it liked

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
What you can do is graph the results on paper. 3000 rpm does not guarantee the weights are all the way out.
Note the advance at 500 rpm increments. When the graph stops climbing, it's out.
This is what I intend to do. 3000 as stated above was just an example. I still need a way to lock in my rpm’s, be it 3000, 3500, or whatever. How do you know what rpm you are at with one hand on the linkage and the other aiming a timing light.
Im just going to use the idle stop screw.
Ill go get a longer one if needed.

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
Thanks for the reply. I have read numerous places that the advance timing lights are notoriously inaccurate. What i have is a conventional light with no advance, and would like to set rpm at, say, 3000 (which i will have to do anyway). My question is can I just run the idle screw in to hold my desired rpm. The idle gets adjusted after timing is set anyway,
So i don’t see why not. I am trying to avoid asking the wife for help, would be 1000x easier if i can just trig the rpm where i want it, short of using a stick on the gas pedal.
Timing Lights have been used for centuries! Some expert tell you they ain't accurate, his wrong.

• Agree

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Timing Lights have been used for centuries! Some expert tell you they ain't accurate, his wrong.
I was only asking if I can use the idle stop screw instead of a 2x4 to hold my rpm’s where i want it. That was it.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor