E4ME Quadrajet HELLPP!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojorising

n00b
Apr 6, 2014
Hi, I am hoping you can help out with a problem. I had a assistant helping me out with removing and installing in the mixture control solenoid, showed him what i wanted done and how to do it annndddd if he ran into any problems or had questions to stop and ask. Well, he didn't! He didn't count the turns to seat the mixture control solenoid screw he just took it out. Argh, what to do. Got any idea or know anyone who would have the answer to this? I need to get this thing back together but don't want to assemble it without knowing how many turns to back it out after seating it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :blam:

1986 Monte Carlo SS (E4ME Quadrajet)

Paul

truracer20

Master Mechanic
Feb 16, 2014
western PA
Around 4 turns from seated. But that's what I remember from one I did years ago. I believe there is a procedure that's done after the carb is together to adjust rich and lean stops as well as solenoid dwell..

techg8

Master Mechanic
Feb 29, 2012
four turns out is the starting point for the idle mixture screws in the front of the baseplate.

The Mixture solenoid screw - the one that sets the depth of the mixture control solenoid coil in the fuel bowl (aka the lean stop), is initially set with a Thexton 403 tool.

If you dont have the tool, you can measure 1.303" from the base of the primary jet tube (where it enters the brass part of the primary jet) up to the underside of the mix control plunger (holding the plunger all the way down in the solenoid by hand)

Thats the standard start point for tuning

Depending on your carb the rich stop may be automatically set via a small aluminum finger on the screw, or it may be a separate adjustment in the air horn in which case you are looking for about 1/8" travel of the mix solenoid plunger from rich stop to lean stop. Check for this travel once the air horn is installed.

There is anohter thexton tool for setting the proper initial air bleed depth as well.

Then its a matter of hooking up a Dwell meter on 6cyl scale and tuning the air bleed and mix screws

Tune when engine is hot, and try to get a 25-35 dwell (it should vary a little back and forth) va the air bleed. If you cant get it there via the air bleed then you need to adjust the idle mix screws a little bit lean or rich as the case may be and then fine tune again with the air bleed. All the time watching the dwell meter.

Think of the mix screws as BIG adjustment and the air bleed as FINE adjustment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor