easiest way to posi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox ozzy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2013
i have an 85 cutlass and i doubt it has posi i haven't checked but if not whats the easiest way to get it? What rear end does my car have?

dlo253

G-Body Guru
Mar 25, 2011
PNW, WA
You can get a blazer/s10 carrier, don't remember the RPO code for that but it can be found online. The yards usually have a bunch, and the carriers go for like $70 there.

thedoctorisin

Greasemonkey
Nov 25, 2009
East Bay Area, S.F. Ca.
I got mine out of a 84 trans am, 35$. Any early third gen Z28 or TA locker with fit too. Later models have a 7.65inch ring gear or something like that, not sure of they would fit.

Put it in right away, threw a good pattern so went with it. You may and probably will need to shim it so you get a good pattern and your gears are not too loose or too tight.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
If you don't know what rear end you have, don't know what a pattern is, and claim to be too lazy to remove the cover, maybe you shouldn't attempt this upgrade just yet.

Fox ozzy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 8, 2013
lol thats what everyone paying 200 to get gears installed said when i did mine now they come too me

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
Swap in a posi equipped diff ie 7.5, 8.5, Ford 9in etc etc.... :wink: Do some research and you will find plenty of info.If your paying $200 for gears then swap in a posi carrier from a donor as well, But i would be leary of the 200 dollar special :? Alot of variables for example you using new gears, bearings, seals?? Posi donors if you have a 7.5 are a 7.5 equipped f bodies, s10's, Astro and Safari's and other Gbodies. Easiest way to see if they have a posi is too look for the g80 code and pulling the cover off.Oh and only Gbody axles fit gbodies... First find out what you then you can make your next move. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor