Edelbrock 1407 off idle bog

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I replaced the Q Jet on my GMC eons ago, went with Holley mechanical secondaries and manual choke. Had some learning curve issues as well.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Yes sorry thinking auto choke/electric. On manual just pull it shut and see where it is. Do the same fully open and just verify the install of the manual unit.
I did do this earlier. It is operating as intended.

Thank you for all the help. Definitely enlightening for me just to bounce ideas around. I gotta see what I have for rods but can try springs in the meantime. Hopefully tomorrow

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
I have already identified off idle is lean. I just don’t know how to richen it without disturbing everywhere else.

Well is it a big stab, a little poke, or all of the above? Reason I ask is because that Edelbrock uses needles that drop down into the jets for a leaner cruise. If it's a big poke, you may get away with more jet area with the needles up but the same area with the needles sucked down. If all of the above, chances are the main circuit is all around too lean anyway. When I set up my Edelbrock, it idled and cruised right around 14.7-15:1, went 13.5:1 just before the primaries cracked open, and high 12.XX:1 WOT with no off idle stumble.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Well is it a big stab, a little poke, or all of the above? Reason I ask is because that Edelbrock uses needles that drop down into the jets for a leaner cruise. If it's a big poke, you may get away with more jet area with the needles up but the same area with the needles sucked down. If all of the above, chances are the main circuit is all around too lean anyway. When I set up my Edelbrock, it idled and cruised right around 14.7-15:1, went 13.5:1 just before the primaries cracked open, and high 12.XX:1 WOT with no off idle stumble.
Well, it’s mainly when just trying to take off normal (like from a stop sign) but it always does it in a few places in town where there is a slight uphill incline and a turn. I am able to manipulate clutch and throttle to avoid a stall but if i dont, it will just fall completely on its face. I am not really into breaking loose all over the place, but if i was to give it heavy throttle and a borderline clutch dump it probably wouldnt bog.

Reactions: 1 user
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
Well, it’s mainly when just trying to take off normal (like from a stop sign) but it always does it in a few places in town where there is a slight uphill incline and a turn. I am able to manipulate clutch and throttle to avoid a stall but if i dont, it will just fall completely on its face. I am not really into breaking loose all over the place, but if i was to give it heavy throttle it probably wouldnt bog

That's right, you did specify on the inclines. That makes me think the needles are sucked up out of the mains when it's its worst. Can you hook up a vacuum gauge and get a feel for what vacuum level it's worst at? I'll say that when I did get my Edelbrock tuned the way I liked it that my needles and jets were not what came in their off the shelf tuning kit.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
That's right, you did specify on the inclines. That makes me think the needles are sucked up out of the mains when it's its worst. Can you hook up a vacuum gauge and get a feel for what vacuum level it's worst at? I'll say that when I did get my Edelbrock tuned the way I liked it that my needles and jets were not what came in their off the shelf tuning kit.
If the needles are sucked up, then that would indicate too rich. Then i should go with a lighter spring. Is this what you’re thinking?

I was gonna start with springs as they’re the easiest change. Heaviest springs are in now, as well. I have some rods on their way.

I do have a vac test gauge. I suppose i could wye off of the manifold and run a line over to my lap.

Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
If the needles are sucked up, then that would indicate too rich. Then i should go with a lighter spring. Is this what you’re thinking?

I was gonna start with springs as they’re the easiest change. Heaviest springs are in now, as well. I have some rods on their way.

I do have a vac test gauge. I suppose i could wye off of the manifold and run a line over to my lap.

Ehh, just tape it to the windshield. Your primaries shouldn't be jetted fat enough to cause a bog under any condition. Did getting aggressive with the accelerator pump make any sort of difference?

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor