Edelbrock 1407 off idle bog

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Did getting aggressive with the accelerator pump make any sort of difference?
It didnt help the off idle bog. Not sure what it made for a difference honestly other than when i punch it from a rolling cruise it did hit harder.

Changing the linkage setting to richest (did this a while ago) did help, but not cure.

I will try the vac gauge on takeoff. Should help narrow down what’s going on.

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Did getting aggressive with the accelerator pump make any sort of difference?
In doing some general reading, others are suggesting bending the linkage rod? Citing that there’s slack in the linkage and the pump shot comes in too late. Thoughts ?

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
How do I determine that bowls are staying full? Just dawned on me that i have a fuel pressure drop when the car warms up. I installed the regulator and gauge after thinking my pressure may be too high (wanted to stall coasting around certain corners)

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
Before you bend anything. Check for pump shot the moment the throttle blade moves. It must be instant.

Yes, the bowl needs to be full since the accelerator pump feed is high in the bowl on Edelscraps. < I've had an easier time tuning in Holley squarebores.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Before you bend anything. Check for pump shot the moment the throttle blade moves. It must be instant.

Yes, the bowl needs to be full since the accelerator pump feed is high in the bowl on Edelscraps. < I've had an easier time tuning in Holley squarebores.
Thanks RT Jam. How do I determine bowls are staying full?

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Dumb question, but are you running a ported or manifold vacuum source to your vacuum advance? Your setup sounds like one that would really prefer a ported source.

Reactions: 1 user

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Dumb question, but are you running a ported or manifold vacuum source to your vacuum advance? Your setup sounds like one that would really prefer a ported source.
Running manifold

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Running manifold
I would try a ported source and see if that helps. It will give you less advance at idle and still keep all of your top end advance.

Reactions: 1 users

Baker7888

G-Body Guru
Dec 3, 2021
Maine
Okay I have some results and could really use some insight.

Idle is about 16” of vacuum. Goes up to about 25 with throttle (no load)

Under heavy load it drops to about 5.

Okay. Now for the clutch release. Drops to about zero. Engine falls on its face.

Try again with half choke. Drops to 5+ and takes off beautifully. No clutch shudder either.

Did this multiple times. Went from heaviest to lightest springs. No real change. Bent linkage for less stroke. Ran worse. Took measurements first. Bent linkage back to original. Back at square one. Pump shot is and was immediate. Waiting on rods and jets i ordered so i can only try so much with what i’ve got on hand right now.

So i drove around on ~1/2 choke and man she runs good. Like a whole nother animal. Smooth. And smooth power transition.

I am thinking this is too much carb (air) as much as i hate to say it. I dont know if its possible to tune it out. Need advice!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor