Edelbrock carb help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Whats up guys ive been havin problems with this carb dumping fuel after shutdown still. Before anyone asks its the 1406. Fuel pressure is set to 5psi on the regulator. The floats were set to the factory specs for the carb i just checked because i have it apart and cleaned the bowls. Needle and seat is clean. This problem started around the time i changed the valve seals and had me convinced that i screwed up changing the seals which still might be possible and Pontiacgp helped me getting it running again a couple weeks ago and it runs fine. Just after i shut it off my fuel pressure gauge will drop to 0 right away i got this gut feeling it shouldnt be doing that. I took the top off the carb and the housing around the accelerator pump looks like its busted. This is the only edelbrock ive ever owned so i dont know if its supposed to look that way or not all ive worked on is Quadrajets so i dont know i took a pic hoping you guys could help me

Down at the bottom

Attachments

• Edelbrock accelpump case.jpg
    Edelbrock accelpump case.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 505

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I have no knowledge regarding the Edelbrock or Carter AFB type carb, but there certainly looks like a piece missing there.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
I opened up a buddys spare edelbrock he had on the shelf. Found that hole is supposed to be there however mine is busted. His was a tiny port leading to the squirters past the accel pump where as mine got cracked and opened up wider somehow. After playing with it a bit i even found the chunk in the bowl. As for my flooding problem i caved and just replaced the needle and seat and dropped the fuel pressure down to 4 seems fine now.

This is why i run Quadrajets ive never once had a problem like that before

82GPLJ455

Greasemonkey
Jul 26, 2014
ma.
In my opinion the edelbrock carbs are strictly junk,just a notch better than a summit branded carb.theyre only good for joe shmoe that knows nothing about carbs.quadrabogs aint much better either.i prefer a holley.only problem with a holley is its not a set it and forget it carb,gotta play with it here and there.

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
Looks like you got a bad casting. I often see Edelbrock carbs on Craigslist. It might take a little time which you may or may not have. I'm one of those schlubs who does not have the patience to tweak a Holley on a regular basis. Plus, I live at 6000 feet above sea level, so I have to go the other way with jetting to get a car to run right. Edelbrock? Three stages lean on cruise and two stages lean on power are just about right. Am I leaving power on the table? Yup. When I have the coin for fuel injection, I'll go that route.

jacobdavis1979

G-Body Guru
Feb 18, 2011
Lol yeah but im about 5 minutes from goin injected on everything

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Sounds like the carb is getting heat soaked causing the dripping after shutdown. The problem with all aftermarket carbs is that off the shelf they have generic specs instead of being setup to OEM, specs like a factory carb. The OEM, spent 1,000s of hours on R&D to achieve the correct specs for each engine application. It is why Qjets are not universal carbs, they are setup to match the engine they were intended for. Aftermarket carbs are just set up to whatever specs, and it is up to the owner to try out different adjustments to achieve a good tune. The stock Eddy float adjustment is probably not the height the engine needs and you have to try different heights to achieve the optimum adjustment. Other thing is aftermarket carbs are designed to be gas dumpers first with little regard for driveability, or efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor