El camino rear widebody& raised rear quarters

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Got most of sheet metal cleaned back up & welded 2 sides of visor together. Drivers side rises up at rear where pass side is flat .Looking at from straight on at sides, think I'll raise pass side up in back. Gives more of spoiler look.
Next is to start wrapping underside with metal & figure how to mount. I think if I turn the temporary mounting screw locations into guides, I can slip visor into place & bond with panel adhesive.
20190929_192148.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Got a little bodywork & epoxy primer done on visor last night at work. Didn't have time to bodywork near as good as I wanted before first priming, but wanted to get it sealed up while I was spraying epoxy on the clock at work. Thursday night I started with epoxy filler on the leading edge so it would be tough & then a skimcoat of USC all metal filler. Then yesterday did I coat of evercoat metal glaze. I will be having to bodywork the top when bonding to the roof anyways, at least I'll be able to view it better with shiny black primer to see what it needs.
20191004_184129.jpg

Reactions: 4 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Did more cleanup, welding , & metal planishing on the quarter panel this weekend along with some epoxy filler on many of the welds & a little usc all metal filler on the rougher spots. Took panel in to work & got first coats of epoxy primer & will do some bodywork on it before attaching.

Did a little more bodywork on the visor & another coat of epoxy. I spent so much $ on the metal glaze filler I had to cheap out on the sanding tools pictured.😜 Seriously though, I have an assortment of premade sanding blocks at home & sometimes it's still hard to beat ole fashioned paint stirring sticks, misc scrap woodsticks, & whatever you can grab to do the job, such as a round glue bottle for rounded areas.
20191007_192810.jpg

Reactions: 3 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Been staying late after work every night working on visor & quarter panel.
Visor has been primed & spot skimmed & sanded a few times.
Since I ran out of weekend before epoxy priming quarter panel I just took it to work for the week. Got the bodywork decent enough for a complete coat of epoxy a little after 11:00 tonight. Not sure if I'll bodywork & epoxy a little more at work or just bring home & prime with Evercoat g-2 primer surfacer next.
20191010_230931.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Little more sanding before bringing home. I knew I still had a bunch of high & low spots before primer last night, but was out of working time & had to use up mixed primer from Monday before it went bad. With SPI epoxy you have to mix & induce at least a half hour(which means wait & let it set). Once mixed it can last in a sealed container from 48 to 120 hours. Will next see if my evercoat g-2 sprayable primer surfacer is still good & switch to using it for easier blocking & sanding.
20191011_190129.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Joe, your work is amazing!
My metalworking skills are limited to aluminum fab work for our Sprint Cars, building wings and body parts, but enough that I can appreciate all the work you've done over the years. I used to visit a friend in Winter Park yearly, taking a "vacation" week to do things like swapping a big block in his '37 Chevy or an aftermarket subframe in his '66 Nova. Haven't been there in ten years, but if I ever return I've got to drive up to J'ville and check out that badass Camino.

Bill

Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Thanks Billy. My street is 2 miles off I 95 broward rd exit, just past zoo exit. Cruise in car show pretty much every weekend here too

There is a good reason I've never located another el camino widebody on the internet, this is some f- word hard work here.:blam: Then when you start bodyworking it you find out even the smoothest looking sections of metal are nowhere near smooth enough, much less all the welded & planished & welded & planished again & again parts.
Right now I'm out in the sun at home doing a little more fine tuning on panel before hopefully getting attached permenantly this weekend.Giving this primer & filler all the uv exposure I can .

Reactions: 1 user

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
coated widened inner wheel well & front inner sheet metal with a urethane rubber sealant & used some fire retardant spray foam up front, Hope it helps with noise. Got some g-2 primer on quarter panel. Did last test fit & got it bolted, glued, & partly welded in place.
20191012_215301.jpg
20191012_235113.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor