electric fans???

Status
Not open for further replies.

midwestls

Royal Smart Person
Aug 15, 2007
Bismarck North Dakota
Hey does anybody know what exactly I would need to make some factory Intrepid cooling fans work in my LS? I have a bunch of misc Intrepid (93-97) parts laying around. I want to use the radiator and fans out of one. Is there an aftermarket temp sender/switch that'll work for something like this? Any advice anyone can give would be appreciated.

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
You dont need electric fans.... they are a wasteful load on the alternator..all u need is a good 6-7 blade clutch fan... the only reason electric fans exist are for front wheel drive cars with transverse engines...what hp you will gain from the loss of turbulent load...will be lost from a greater electrical load on the alternator.. electric fans dont belong on street cars..

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
i think the intrepid may be a dual speed fan setup.... if electric fans do not belong on street cars why do they come on all of the lt and ls engined cars?? it does free up a bit and it also looks very nice and modern. i do see where you are coming from though. stay away from flex fans, they have no clutch so they steal a ton of power

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
even a fully loaded alternator only takes a few HP to run. it's a proven fact that e-fans take less overall power to run, and while not as powerful, they are just as, if not more, efficient.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
but you also have to have a alternator no matter what so its not like you can eliminate it...... i have to run 150 amp one anyways due to all of the electronics i run in my car

beeterolds

Master Mechanic
Dec 15, 2007
Cleveland ohio 44131
regalman4925 said:
but you also have to have a alternator no matter what so its not like you can eliminate it...... i have to run 150 amp one anyways due to all of the electronics i run in my car

they come on FRONT WHEEL DRIVE cars...how are you going to have a fan on a sideways engine? the Intepid has a longitudinal engine sure...but it needs the fans for space reasons... its just another electric component to fail... i had electrics on mine and hated em...i went back to the7 blade and never looked back

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
corvette, camaro, jeeps, toyota trucks, some chevy suv's, audis, bmw's all use electric fans on longitudely mounted rear/4-wheel drive engine. most of them have MORE than enough space for a mech fan.
are they perfect? no but they do have some nice advantages like running full speed if needed with the engine at idle.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
very true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor