Engine Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGeek

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2011
Car got towed a few days ago due to "lack of starting" at the mall parking lot. Finally got to work on it yesterday to figure out what was wrong. A little checking here and there, nothing. Tried to start it. On the third start, I noticed through the gap in the dashboard and the hood that my engine compartment lit up like a barbecue. Ran in the house, tore out all the crap under the sink to find the fire extinguisher. Got it, ran outside, started spraying. Got it out a few times only for it to reignite from underneath. Eventually got it out and it stayed out. Removed battery.
Total time cooking... anywhere from 45 seconds to 3 or 5 minutes... I had no sense of time. Had some wiring melted under the hood, everything is covered in fire extinquisher powder. Dunno what insurance is going to do, waiting on them to call me back. :(

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
Man good thing you caught it before it was too late! The insulation under my hood caught fire once from a huge backfire out of the carb.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
That's one scary situation. Glad to hear that you got it somewhat under control before it became a rolling torch.
You might also want to clean off the chemical from the fire extinguisher. I understand that it's corrosive.
First have your adjuster look at it before hand. Good luck!

TheGeek

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 18, 2011
Well, their going to total out the car. Which is a shame because there isn't a dent or spot of rust anywhere on that car. I almost want to see what it would be to buy it back, but on the other hand I just don't care anymore. Thanks to the two guys that posted replies showing concern.

Think I'll be taking my money and go get something a little better on gas. Later.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
You don't have to accept what the insurance company offers. If I were you I'd get an estimate and demand for that amount to repair your car.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
pontiacgp said:
You don't have to accept what the insurance company offers. If I were you I'd get an estimate and demand for that amount to repair your car.
=========================================================================================================
X2, I agree.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Plus the wiring in the engine bay isn't that complicated and harnesses aren't hard to find so the repair may not be as bad as it looks.

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
pontiacgp said:
Plus the wiring in the engine bay isn't that complicated and harnesses aren't hard to find so the repair may not be as bad as it looks.
Yea I wouldnt let a Gbody or any car really go to the junkyard just because something like this happened. I could see if it destroyed a lot more than it did but you can save it. Anymore these days older cars will be totalled out if they hit a dog!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor