Engine Guys, Head This Way Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Steve how old are those heads? And were they ever rebuilt or stock? Old used stock heads that were not resized for new oversize valves or at least knurled, on a freshened up motor, I can see pushing oil. But if the proper work was done and they did that after only a few years is not normal.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Steve how old are those heads? And were they ever rebuilt or stock? Old used stock heads that were not resized for new oversize valves or at least knurled, on a freshened up motor, I can see pushing oil. But if the proper work was done and they did that after only a few years is not normal.

The old heads were used before i got them and never rebuilt. The more I think about this I think bracketchev1221 may be on to something with a problem with the geometry. I have the stock vortec pushrods and ran with the stock rockers but changed to aftermarket roller rockers and I never checked to see it the pushrods were the correct length. My memory is screwed but I am thinking the problem started after I was using the roller rockers.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I am going to agree it’s not the pump and or the pan. It’s a guide clearance issue maybe from incorrect rocker geometry and as the valve moves in the guide it wears the seals. The oil to the top can only get there through the pushrods and will drain back faster than the restrictions in the pushrod and rocker allow.

the more I think about what you said about the geometry the more I think you may be right. I never checked to see if the stock vortec pushrods would work with the roller rockers and I'm thinking the problem started sometime after I started using the roller rockers. I will pick up a tool to measure the geometry and let you know the results....thanks again

Zspoiler

Apprentice
Jun 3, 2018
Sounds like your guides and seal need to be replaced at least. I would have the heads gone through.It would probably save you money in the long run .And run a good set of Fel Pro head gaskets. I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro Pro -Touring car,with a supercharged small block. With a Melling High volume oil pump.and Milodon 7 Quart road race pan. I have both World Products iron heads and Eldelbrock Prototype Performer RPM aluminum heads .With 15 LBS plus pounds of boost ,With no issues,

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Sounds like your guides and seal need to be replaced at least. I would have the heads gone through.It would probably save you money in the long run .And run a good set of Fel Pro head gaskets. I have a 1979 Z-28 RS Camaro Pro -Touring car,with a supercharged small block. With a Melling High volume oil pump.and Milodon 7 Quart road race pan. I have both World Products iron heads and Eldelbrock Prototype Performer RPM aluminum heads .With 15 LBS plus pounds of boost ,With no issues,

I don't believe in coincidences so I doubt all of the guides would be shot. I think bracketchev1221's suggestion that the geometry is off is probably correct since that situation would cause the same issue with all the valves,.

88ss408

Master Mechanic
Feb 25, 2007
baie st anne n.b
I really don't think your oil pump is to blame. I would look at the valve seals and guides.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Hmmm... yeah, that ain't normal. I have nothing further to add other than ensure your PCV signal isn't too strong and pulling oil vapour which will collect and coke on the valves.

Are you running synthetic or conventional oil? DI engines have issues with deposits on the intake valves which is mitigated in part by sythetic oil (and catch cans on the PCV system).

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Hmmm... yeah, that ain't normal. I have nothing further to add other than ensure your PCV signal isn't too strong and pulling oil vapour which will collect and coke on the valves.

Are you running synthetic or conventional oil? DI engines have issues with deposits on the intake valves which is mitigated in part by sythetic oil (and catch cans on the PCV system).

The PCV signal is ok and I use synthetic oil. I wasn't even going to look at the valves yesterday but when one fell out when I picked the head up that peeked my attention cause the seal should have prevented that. The exhaust valve also had oil caked on the stem as well

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor