Engine Guys, Head This Way Please

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I really don't think your oil pump is to blame. I would look at the valve seals and guides.

I agree about the pump and the seals and I will find out later today if I have time to see if it was my error that caused the seals to fail

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Pontiac GP & all; I got $.03 cents worth, since I hang around a couple of engine builders & my education was auto engines maybe I can put some more on the pile. First both SB & BB Chevy's oil too well (OK very well) & its easy to pump too much oil up into the valve covers. It even happen to me & even with the best (correct) guide clearances & best seals you can end up with oil going down the guides. Many builders will restrict the lifter galleries to limit the oil to the top end. Add worn guides & you have more than one problem. For street engines I don't recommend restricting lifter galleries as that method also restricts oil to the lifters (not good). So after you get your guides fixed (resized or replaced) more new good PC type seals & be VERY careful installing said seals. Be sure to use the little plastic covers over the valve stem tip when installing as if ya don't you will turn the new seals into junk before you put the valve covers on. Then consider new push rods with smaller oil holes, available from Smith Brothers. This method will restrict oil to the top without reducing oil to the lifters. After trial & error I have settled on standard hole size for the exhaust side & smaller restricted hole on the intake side. The intake side runs cooler so less oil flow is no big deal but I wanted the usual flow to the exhaust side to help with exhaust valve spring life. You could also chamfer the oil return holes in the heads for some additional return flow. Good luck Ole' Bob.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
What do the intake ports look like?

I should have added to my answer I thought about that last year when my intake was leaking front and back so I changed the intake gaskets and there was no oil being sucked up from the valley. Thanks for the suggestion....:)

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I picked up a push rod measuring tool today winch I will use tomorrow to see what length I need. I matched up a stamped rocker to the roller rocker and it sure looks like my push rods are too long for the roller rocker. I think I'll be owing bracketchev1221a few beers...(y)

Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I do owe bracketchev1221 more than a few beers. The problem was caused by the push rods being too long so bracketchev1221was dead on with the geometry being off. I will order the shorter push rods on Monday. Here is the difference between what I had and what i need.

push rod length.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
and I have to say thank you to all you guys who jumped in to offer your knowledge on this thread. I'l keep the BBC pump and the 7 quart l pan like suggested and just fix my screw up....:)

Reactions: 1 users

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Steve- if the pushrod length and resulting bad geometry wore the guides then don't those heads need machine work now to tighten them up? Or are you tossing them?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Steve- if the pushrod length and resulting bad geometry wore the guides then don't those heads need machine work now to tighten them up? Or are you tossing them?

I won't toss them out but I think the guides are ok, the seals are shot. I'll check the guides and if they need changing I'll have that done before selling them. Vortec heads for a 350 are not that plentiful and sell pretty quick

Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Mark, there is one place in Toronto that sells rebuilt vortec heads for $350 each plus $150 for the core. There is another place in Winnipeg who sells rebuilt vorte heads for $285 each but they put in the larger valves but they don't do any other work on the head. With larger valve the heads don't flow as good as the stock valves if no other work is done on the head. That place in Winnipeg has a $125 core charge. The deal in Winnipeg would also mean shipping costs of about $150

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
If the guides are ok, what would take out the seals?? As Vanrah brought up were condoms used installing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor