Engine popping sound!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

85' 3.8 Limited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2010
I was driving home from work and I was going to pass someone, so I gave it some gas and the engine made a popping sound, sounded like a backfire from the intake. What could be causing this issue???

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
Your timing is way off or your timing chain slipped :|

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
If it just popped, hesitated, and kept on going, then you probably need a new distributor or at least a rebuild. The pickup coil wires go bad and it'll do this under load or sudden acceleration. If the timing chain slipped then it wouldn't run correctly (if at all) after.

gbgn1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 7, 2008
Houston
Look at your carburator.The accelerator pump is probably wore out>>>> :D

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
:popcorn:
I'm watching this one, my 350 sbo started doing this before i parked it.
I think it could be ignition or carb, my holley ended up blowing the powervalve to hell and it ran like sh*t after that.

Jan 10, 2011
What kind of spark plugs are you running? You could have the wrong spark plugs! My friend had this same exact problem with his 78 Monte Carlo! He bought it with a high performance 350 already in it and the guy he bought it from gave him some spark plugs to do the tune up with. When he got done with the tune up, he decided to take it for a spin around the block and when he hit the gas, his car made a popping sound! People told him that the timing was off and that he had an exhaust leak too but we decided to take it to a high performance engine builder and he discovered that he was using the wrong spark plugs! He was using AC Delco's for a 94-96 GM vehicle! The guy took those off and put some ACCEL Plugs and Wires on it and that bad baby FLEW!!! Hope that was any help to your problem......

85' 3.8 Limited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2010
Well... I'm not sure if this is any help but when I was checking the plugs, I was pulling the wires off of the distributor with rubber grip pliers and I got a nice little jolt of electricity. The reason I was doing that was that the car was running like crap, so it was an easy to check if one of the plugs wasn't firing.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if the wires are bad it could be cross-fire induction causing a plug to fire with the intake valve open

85' 3.8 Limited

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 2, 2010
Would my car running bad have any input on the backfiring??? It wants to hesitate when I give it more gas to speed up; for example, when I'm going 45 and I want to speed up to 55, it bucks and hesitates when I push the pedal in. Most of the time I have to mash the pedal to the floor and go to 3rd just to speed up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor