engine problems, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
cutlassguy said:
was it called a rectifier or the brushes? stator, rotor, diodes? theres not much more in an alternator that can mess up. make sure all your connections are clean, the clip tends to get corrosion in there. if you get it running but put your meter to volts and touch it to the battery to see what its charging at. if its spinning, it should be charging. maybe a loose belt?

I honestly cant remember seems like he said a diode.
But not sure, That's ringing a bell.

Re: engine problems, again. !URGENT READ!

okay so my wife doesn't want me messing with the car myself and shes getting tired that we don't have a car.
So she called a reputable shop around the corner, who we have seen doing old g-body cars all the time.

So they came by and looked at the car, here's what they had to say:
1.Carb rebuild, because it has sat for so long. 130.00-140.00 including parts. (they will hook up the choke the proper way, for I am going with the quick and painless way.)
2.Complete tune up ( new plugs, new wires, new distributor cap, rotary button, new ignition module)
3.Valve covers switched sides, (supposedly I have them on backwards and on wrong sides) in my pictures do they seem wrong?
4.RE-timed, properly.
5.new breather, mine is to small? and new fuel filter.
6.They told me when they switch the valves and lash valves it will need a new oil change.

So everything from 1-6 on engine rebuild, it would be about 325.00 for labor.
About 400 for all parts, they go through advanced autoparts, they get a 8% discount and free warranties.
All together, she was quoted 650.00-675.00 to fix everything! excluding carb rebuild.
If I want to buy my own parts, the labor would be 325.00 But if I bought my own parts.
They will not give me a 30day warranty on my car, if something is to go wrong.
Because they will not know where the parts are from and if they were used or new.

Other things that I asked for:
1.engine color and degrease, will also clean engine bay and remove all wires properly, to make it look a little nicer. 85.00
2.linkage fixed, free if I choose him to fix my car.
3.new ignition, if wanted. 75.00 parts included brand new part with 2 keys.

So with this being said, my car could be done within 4-5 days.

So with everything being said I was wondering would this be a good deal?
We are expecting taxes back on the 25th, we will have enough, but were just wondering would this actually be a good deal.
is this quote good?

P.S he will tow the car for free (for he works at AAA) and the shop is literally 4 blocks down the road and has been there for as long as I can remember.

Thank you all so very much.

Sounds like the way to go. A guaranty to get it running right? AND please the wife? I vote -YES!

I thought you have new wires and plugs installed?......that is a decent price as long as the engine doesn't have any internal issues and it's all required but I don't understand why they think a new module is needed and if you have new wires and plugs why they need to change them

and yes I agree with Bonnewagon, to please a wife for less than a grand is a bargain any day..

I wouldn't avoid a carb rebuild. Absolutely nothing helps a car as much as a clean well adjusted carb. As long as they know their sh*t, of course, as nothing hurts a car worse than a crappy carb.

pontiacgp said:
I thought you have new wires and plugs installed?......that is a decent price as long as the engine doesn't have any internal issues and it's all required but I don't understand why they think a new module is needed and if you have new wires and plugs why they need to change them

and yes I agree with Bonnewagon, to please a wife for less than a grand is a bargain any day..

See that's also what I asked because I just bought the wires.
Shes going to ask that tomorrow now cause I was wondering the same exact thing?
I will get back to you on this one.

Also how would/could I tell if something was wrong with the ignition module?
I will also get back to you on this one as well.

But yeah that is a definite plus anyday.

Thanks.

Bonnewagon said:
I wouldn't avoid a carb rebuild. Absolutely nothing helps a car as much as a clean well adjusted carb. As long as they know their sh*t, of course, as nothing hurts a car worse than a crappy carb.

Yeah that's why I was going to get that any way even if I didn't let them do everything else.
But would 135.00 be good for a rebuild?

I need a quick answer:
How long does a carb have to sit, for it to become messed up and need a rebuild?

I've seen carbs sit for many years, and they worked fine. They might just want go open it, clean it, and make sure that it is NOT a problem. A "rebuild" is a perfect way to make certain of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor