engine problems, again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
for the ignition module it's hard to test so usually they would have a good one to try and that would tell them it's defective if it is. But the problem is there needs to be quite a few adjustments that could be causing it to run the way it is so it's odd that they would jump to their conclusion the module is no good.

Bonnewagon said:
I've seen carbs sit for many years, and they worked fine. They might just want go open it, clean it, and make sure that it is NOT a problem. A "rebuild" is a perfect way to make certain of that.

So it would be best to ask them to open and clean it so we don't have to get the rebuild or just get it rebuilt?

they don't know what they are getting into with the carb until they open it so they may be just giving you the worst case scenario, it's easier to drop a price than add to it

pontiacgp said:
for the ignition module it's hard to test so usually they would have a good one to try and that would tell them it's defective if it is. But the problem is there needs to be quite a few adjustments that could be causing it to run the way it is so it's odd that they would jump to their conclusion the module is no good.

So what would you do in this situation, what would you say or ask them?

pontiacgp said:
they don't know what they are getting into with the carb until they open it so they may be just giving you the worst case scenario, it's easier to drop a price than add to it

Okay so I will ask them to just take a look inside for any apparent problems within it.
Thank you.

Also about the module that's what we already wrote down to ask.
Thanks again.

I think they are trying to cover as many bases as possible, because they don't know what has been done to this car, or if it was done right. For example, a new module, cap, rotor, wires and plugs pretty much eliminates anything ignition related from the situation. A carb rebuild takes care of any fuel issues. That leaves mechanical things like valve adjustments and cam timing. I would suggest the same course on an unknown car, BUT, I would also expect a compression test first just to be sure the motor was healthy before anything else was ever considered.

Your choke is hooked up properly, that is how they state to do it in the manual. If your getting power than it needs adjusted or your choke is junk. A bad ignition module in my experience will not allow the car to start. I have replaced about 3 of them over the last 10 years. Every time they went bad the car simply would not start. So I dunno if that would be something you want to drop the cash for. If they are good mechanics they should be able to at least trouble shoot some stuff. I see no reason they need to rebuild everything and replace everything. I understand they want to eliminate those things as a problem but hey you could eliminate it all and buy a brand new engine. So personally I wouldn't just let them replace everything and go hog wild. 9 times out of 10 your gonna pay more than what they quoted you anyway. You know they are gonna need something once they get to digging, then it snowballs from there. Good Luck.

Bonnewagon said:
I would also expect a compression test first just to be sure the motor was healthy before anything else was ever considered.

Absolutely. Do this or have this done before you do anything else David.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor